Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a scare! I walked out of our apartment and then opened the main door to the apartment building to get a pizza from the delivery guy and Addison must have slipped by me!

About 20 minutes goes by and the bf comes home from work, then says "Where is Addison?". My reply, "I don't know, I was just thinking that."

We start calling and searching and he says..."You don't think she got out do you?" I was so oblivious and said, "How would she get out?"

*pause* :idea: *pause* "OH SH*T!"

So, I run to the front door and open it, there's Addison sitting politely in the doorway with her head turned to the side as if she was trying to figure things out. She ran right into the house!

Geez...how could I have not noticed her run right past me? :oops: I guess I was signing for the credit card slip and holding the pizza's with the other hand and just didn't notice much else.

Needless to say...Addison is wearing a new piece of "attire"...can you guess what it is? (It's a good thing the pet stores are open till 9pm!)

What a dummy I am! Can't wait till she's old enough to have microchipped! She's a piece of work, this little one. She's so curious about everything. :roll: Franny has NEVER tried to run out - so this is new to me! Thank goodness she was okay, and waiting like a good little girl to come inside! What a bad mom I am!
:(

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Glad to hear she is safe at home :) You are lucky she was waiting outside the door......when my two get out, they take off :roll:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was so stupid. I know that she's like that...she always tries to skate by us when we open the door. I don't know what I was thinking!

I know...we ARE lucky. She's not bothered by the collar at all either. Well, now that I've adjusted it so she can't get it stuck in her mouth like she did within the first 5 minutes. :roll:

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I am so relieved that you have got Addison back - this kind of situation is so scary to even imagine.
Give her a hug from me :D

·
Registered
697 Posts
Cute picture of Addison modeling the new "necklace". I can imagine your fear. So funny she waited by the door. Lucky!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MA said:
Cute picture of Addison modeling the new "necklace".
Thanks. Only trouble is that it is the smallest size I could find (8") and it's on the smallest setting (I can still fit my fingers under it-she's such a tiny girl) and she still manages to play with it and get it caught right across her mouth. Don't worry it's a safety collar with the stretchy elastic in the middle. The ones though with the plastic clasp that clips in were all too big! :x

Don't know what else to do! I tried loosening it, but that clearly was no help! At least she's at home and I bet I'll be very careful from now on!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Well I've had success with the kind of collars that have the lock-weave design... no holes, you can adjust it to as small as you need to.

Scary for her to get out! Glad she is a good kitty and realized inside is much better. ;)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KittyEnvy said:
Well I've had success with the kind of collars that have the lock-weave design... no holes, you can adjust it to as small as you need to.

Scary for her to get out! Glad she is a good kitty and realized inside is much better. ;)
I THINK that I tried one last night in the store and it was still too big. She's so dainty. If I didn't see her eating all the time and if she hadn't come up parasite free and if she didn't act completely HEALTHY and run like a maniac ALL the time...I'd wonder if she was sick or something. Though she has grown SOOOOOO much. I think she's just going to be small boned. She's getting tall and lanky but is just small framed. Well, you can see in the picture above. The vets have confirmed her age on a 2 diff. occasions, since I had suspected maybe she was younger...

I guess she's just a dainty little girl! Her momma was pretty small too. Watch..in a few months, she'll be gigantic!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Tyra was like that too... it took her a while to grow into the collar we currently have on her... before that, we had the one we got from the shelter... it has a clasp that looks like a belt buckle, but there are no preset holes in the collar fabric, so you can just pull it as tight as you need to. Unfortunately it's not a "safety collar" that snaps off when the cat gets caught on something, but she never did... so it worked for her until she was about 6 mos old ... and then she was big enough for the smallest setting on a regular safety collar.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Same thing happened with Samhain once. I think she was out for about 10 minutes and was sitting outside just like Addison was hehe. After that we were much more vigilant.

How much does microchipping usually cost?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Our vet does it for $40.00. Then there is like a $12.00 fee to have it registered, but it's a one time only fee. They also do it at the Luv-My-Pet vaccination clinics through Petco for $29.00.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I'm glad she was sitting there waiting for :D Her collar looks cute. I'm sure she will grow into it in time.

BTW....I didn't know that microchipping was that inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, it's not expensive at all.

BTW, I was at the pet store today (a different one) and came across a collar that is more of the weaved variety (like you guys are talking about up above) so you can poke the hole whereever you need to, BUT it's also STRETCHY (the whole thing is stretchy). So, you can adjust it as tight as you need to but the whole thing will stretch so that they can slide out of it if they get stuck on something. Too bad the smallest size i could find was 10". I knew that it would be waaaaay to long so i didn't buy it, but I'll be keeping my eye opening for that one!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
This is a bit of a random thought on collars but the last ones I bought for Punky and Elly are the brightest (and ugliest) shade of hot pink that the store had.

All of their previous collars were a nice color that "matched" their fur and made them look real cute. But since I only make them wear their collars when we go somewhere I figured I'd just get the brightest ones possible.

My girlfriend gave me a hard time because I was looking for a collar with some kind of reflector, and when I couldn't find one I wanted to get a reflective sticker to put on them. She said that by the way I treat the cats, my kids will end up in some embarassing outfits.

So the collars have been nicknamed their "dork collars". :lol:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's kind of funny actually!
You won't really dress your kids in embarassing outfits...will you?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts