Cat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
she does it when she's asking for something. She usually will be looking at me or looking up at something or will jump up and lean on or towards something first. Clearly indicating that she wants up, or can't reach something...or at the very least has an interest in something. Then she makes this fairly quiet but higher pitched chirping type sound. I could never explain this sound if i tried.

It's so strange.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Half meow half purr sound like a good explanation?

Dylan does it all the time (a trait of Maine coons apparently) And it is just the cutest thing ever!!!

Hayley x x

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES, very good explanation.
My other cat has NEVER done this. It's so strange to me.
It's very cute, but so unfamiliar.

When Dylan does this, is he asking for something?

She's not a maine coon, but she sure is doing it!

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I just love those little chirp sounds. :)
Velvet does seem to make those noises when she is asking for something. Maybe chirping is cat lauguage for "give me that!" :lol:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
He does it a lot if he knows he is getting food :wink: and he does it a bit when he wants to get your attention. When he does it whilst trying to run through the hallway it's really funny :p

Dylan has soo many types of meows anyway, a loud and harsh "get out of bed" meow for in the morning when he hears the alarm go, his quiet "I'm not sure what I want" meow, and his chirrup for food and excitement :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
our cats "chirp" too I guess. They are (i'm pretty sure) just mut american shorthairs.... when we come home....when we go to bed....when its dinner time (though dinner gets full blowed meows!). I love it! i have noticed one of our cats is a lot more vocal than the other...

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Assumpta chirps a lot, mostly to be conversational or when she wants something. When she gets us up in the morning, she puts on this really adorable face with big eyes, pricked ears, and attentive whiskers, and chirps in our faces (before she changes to more extreme measures like sticking her paw up my nose). She also chirps just to say things like "hello," goodbye," and "are you gonna finish that chicken or what?"

"Prroow" is not to be confused with "Murf" (or "Purf") though, which is just a general announcement of jumping onto or off of something. Also not to be confused with the foghorn ("Waaaaannhhhhww") or the sick meow ("Oooahhhhww"), which can wake me from a sound sleep at 2AM.

I get a blast out of the vocal range that Assumpta's developed living with us. When we got her, she just had the LOUD foghorn meow (which she still uses to remind me that I'm very slow preparing her dinner) and a really scary growl. The first night we had her, she meowed at me and I echoed her...her eyes got HUGE, she meowed again, and we ended up having this half-hour long "conversation." She hasn't shut up since. :) I just knew she had that little MC chirp in her somewhere...it just took her a while to calm down enough to converse casually.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's funny...our other...Franny is SUCH a talker. If you respond to her she will continue to have a conversation with you until you end it. If you say anything to her at all, she will give a reply.

Addison (the "chirper") on the other hand does NOT meow. Ever! If I hadn't heard the recent chirping sounds or the crazy kitten please let me out of this cat carrier (on the way to the vet) mewing, I'd think she was a mute.

So, at home, she does not meow at all...only that chirping sound I've been talking about...which clearly is her asking "May I have that?" or "Can you lift me so I can stand on your keyboard while you are trying to type?" types of things! :lol:

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Last night and all of this morning, Addison kept bringing her mice into bed with us (i have at least 4 under my pillow right now) and throwing them around and pouncing on them over and over. So, it would get to the point where I'd take it from her and throw it on the floor just to get 2 minutes of peace. Without fail, she'd go retreive it and come back into bed with her mouse. She kept bringing them back over and over and if she couldn't find where I had thrown it, she'd go get a different one from somewhere else.

I noticed after I would throw it, she'd mad that chirpy sound too. She's like a little dog sometimes! :D I think she thought we were playing fetch!

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DylansMummy said:
lol are Dylan and Addison related?? Dylan loves to play fetch with his mice!
LOL, maybe she's a Maine Coon mutt! She's got some personality that's for sure. She drives me crazy at times, but I wouldn't trade her for anything in the world. She's so fearless too, she takes these giant leaps and pounces right onto the back of our 4 year old tabby. They have full wrestling matches on our living room floor on a nightly basis.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DylansMummy said:
Yep! Just got to convince the boyfriend now lol
Well since it works so well for our 'friends' you could always try standing him front of the kitty you want to take home and making that familiar chirping noise *as if to say..."I want that"* :wink:

Hey...it's worth a try!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yeah I love the chirps....
Funny thing is... Wesson does it, and Smith doesn't... He's the quiet manly type... and shes the one begging for attention at every second of every day.

She does it for almost all occasions. When she wants food, or see's me preparing food, she does it to ask me for some.... When she wants me to chase her around she does it, almost simultaenous with an evasive turn or something.... Shes quite good at running on carpet with those millions of toes and nails shes got...

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
See....yeah, it definitely appears to be a sound that means..."I want that!"

Your kittens (and all their toes) are SO cute. Keep the pictures coming!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My 5 month old kitten does this too, but only when she spies birds through the windows. That's the only time i've heard it. At first it freaked me out, but now it's kind of cute. Her eyes get real big and you can tell she's excited.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've actually read that a lot of cats do that when they see birds! I think it goes along with the idea that we have about them saying that they want something when they make that sound. I'm sure your cat is saying "i want that bird. I want that bird really, really bad!"
:wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts