Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have a lot of experience in taking care of and interacting with cats and I absolutely love them, but I have never had a cat or kitten of my own. I am about to move out on my own for the first time, and am really excited about being able to rescue a feline or two from a shelter, and provide a loving home for them.

The question that is haunting me, is: Should I get a cat or kitten? Ideally I would like to adopt two kittens (litter mates), because I have never had my own before. I would love the experience of raising them, and being with them for the entirety of their lives. However, I feel like a horrible person for this, because it seems like kittens in are higher demand than adult cats. Adults need a loving home just as much as kittens do, and I hate to be one of the people who neglect them because of their age.

I am curious to know the thoughts of others on this subject. Should I be less selfish, and adopt an older cat who may have less of a chance of being adopted? Or, should I just adopt two kittens and be glad to be providing them with a loving, caring home?

Thank you for your time, and your input!

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
I adopted my first cat, Cinderella, when she was 4 years old. I would say adopt an adult for the exact reasons you stated, because kittens will go like hotcakes. If there are two adults that are bonded, that's even better. I don't think bonded adults should ever be split up if it can be helped.

And it's not selfish to want kittens, either. I adopted the twins from a rescue organization. They'll be a year old next week and they are WILD, but adorable. :D

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi! I think it's great that you're thinking of adopting! :)

As for whether you should get a cat or a kitten, I think it depends. I got an adult because I felt like adults have a more established personality, she was already litter-trained, and I didn't think I could cope with a really energetic kitten right now!

But you might go to the shelter and really bond with a kitten. I've been told adults do tend to have less of a chance of being adopted, but I don't think that should make you feel bad about getting a kitten (or kittens). :) Just go with your gut!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I adopted 2 (12 year old) cats from a no kill shelter. They had been there for 9 and 11 years. I can't describe the thrill it is to have given these two pals a loving home. They don't do much but sleep all day and come out for pettings and headbutts late at night. I also have a kitten who demands lots of attention. Fortunately I have a dog that lets me know where the kitten is at all times. I've given her free roam of the house while I am home and Tanner my dog follows her everywhere and he will let me know if she is in the closet or under the bed. So she needs more of my time to make sure she is not getting into trouble.
There are so many older cats in the shelter that are wonderful. If you don't mind the fact that an older cat has less years with you, I'd say go for it! Shelter cats, once they gain your confidence seem to know you've cared enough to rescue them. There is something special about rescuing an older cat.
If you want to eliminate the kitten stage and still have a cat that still has lots of spunk and will have a long life with you then an adult cat would be ideal. Keep in mind cats can live well into their teens so a 4-8 year old cat can bring you years of joy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
As a fairly experienced owner i always adopt older cats. Or disabled cats.

There are always families for kittens but the older they get the harder they are to rehome. I took Suki at 4 years old and Whitey i took at 15. I generally ask the centre staff whose been here longest or is in the most desperate need of rehoming and take them.

Get an older cat. (in my opinion)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I recently adopted my first young adult. Technically I suppose he's a kitten at 10 months, but he looks like an adult, so faced the same difficulties of being adopted.

Tomorrow will be one week, and I have to say that it's been an awesome experience. He and I have really bonded in this short period, and he's adjusted so well to the household that I can't imagine my life without him now.

I've had kittens and Sammy's my first adult adoption. There are benefits to both. Kittens you can raise up yourself, adults are usually already more settled down than kittens. Kittens zoom and zoom and zoom - like the energizer bunny.

I've enjoyed kittens, but so far, adopting Sammy has been the most rewarding - knowing that I gave him a home when he'd been looking for months. He was meant for me, I really believe that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm a college student and my childhood cat died at age 15 in March (we adopted him as a kitten when I was 5). I decided to adopt a cat that was around 1 year old for my apartment for the following reasons:

- Even though I had a cat my entire life I wasn't really his primary care provider, so I didn't feel experienced enough to handle a kitten (especially not as a student who needs to sleep and study). Keep in mind, a kitten is a lot of work and might not be a good idea for a first time cat owner.

- Kittens almost always get adopted no matter what, so I wanted to get a cat that might not have a free ticket out of the pound. As a matter of fact, when I adopted her (she was between 9 months and 1 year they weren't sure) I was thanked by the staff who told me that most people come in looking for kittens and so many sweet cats have to be put down just because they're past the 1 year mark.

- Kittens haven't really matured yet and therefore their personality is kind of hard to identify. I felt like a 1 year old cat would already have a developed personality, so I could really get to know the cat a bit before I took her home. This theory was kind of dis-proven since my cat ended up having a URI in the pound and about a week after she was home with me and feeling better she started to go a bit more crazy than I had thought lol.

All in all I ended up with an absolutely wonderful cat. She has the perfect personality and matches everything I was looking for in the beginning, and is completely adorable. So I personally think the way to go for a first time cat owner is a cat around 1-3 years old.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I guess I'd look at it this way:

1. Which would better suit my lifestyle? A laid-back adult or wild kitten?
2. If I chose a kitten, would I be able to devote the time and energy?
3. If I chose an adult/senior, would I be able to cope with the fact that I may or may not have a lot of years? Would I be able to afford supplies older cats need? Would I be able to financially be able to take care of the older cat if he/she needed twice-yearly visits, special tests, etc?
4. Do I want a kitten, who go like crazy, or help out an adult/senior who more than likely will be euthanized?

There are a bunch of pros/cons for both...Wouldn't it be nice if we could take them all? :D I'd say go with your heart...Go to the shelter, look around, but, if you're still torn, go and don't have your mind set on kitten or adult...Have your mind set that "whichever one captures my heart is mine". Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
My kitties have all chosen me in their own ways. I have adopted both adults and kitties and I would say it is a little more rewarding to adopt an adult because you know that they need you. My Taz was several years old when we got him and he is totally devoted to me.

If you find a black adult, even better. They are the least likely to find a home.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Everyone has stellar advice. But it's always boiled down to who picks ME. Which ever way you go, it's great that you're adopting. There's so many out there who needs us.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I adopted Arianwen because she was an adult, but also because I felt she was the right kitty. I can't explain it, but she called to me, or Sam (R.B. angel kitty) called me to her.

We're so close, and keep growing closer :heart :heart

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
I didn't intend to adopt Cinderella, I was just taking her out of a bad situation and planning on rehoming her. I fell in love with her the first night. :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all so much for your input!

It really just breaks my heart that there are SO many homeless animals out there, and I have to narrow my choices down to two! In making this decision between a cat or a kitten, I knew in my heart that I should do the unselfish thing and get a cat that is truly in need. I was tempted to get two cute little kittens, so I think I just needed a reminder from my fellow animals lovers that I should do the unselfish thing!

I am actually getting ready to move so it will be a few weeks before I can adopt, but have been looking online at some cats in need. I have my eye on two adorable 10 month old cats, a brother and a sister. Their adopted parents are losing their home, so they will be sent to the shelter soon if they don't find a home. They are the cutest pair and love each other very much, and it would be horrible if they had to be separated. I'll keep you guys updated, and will post pictures when I bring my new babies home.

Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am going through the same situation. This weekend I am going to a special local cat rescue organization to meet our new furbaby. We currently have two but our heart and home has room for one more.

Not sure who will choose us though when we go. :0)

Good luck to you and your search!

·
Super Moderator
26,352 Posts
You know, at 10 months old, they don't have all the annoying bad habits of kittens, and they're still very, very fun. :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
My first cats were both adopted brothers, they were 6 and I wouldn't have swapped them for the world, completely different in that one was round and sociable, one was pointy and aloof. I could never understand why they were given up by the old owners, apparently they just didn't want cats anymore :roll:

Their loss and all that...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts