Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
I am new to this forum as well as new to having a kitty. I adopted Peaches(5yrs) from a shelter just about a week ago. I have not had a cat since I was 10 (am 38 now :D), and so I need some help in understanding Peaches. Peaches was an abonded cat and she was living by herself till some kind neighbor bought her to the shelter. I am not sure what she has gone through, but I am sure it was pretty scary. She is easily frightened, and very very quite. She is very clam and really well-behaved. She is now beginning to warm up to me.
The main thing that concerns me is that she does not like her paws being touched, even accidently. A couple of times when I was petting her I accidently touched her paw and she snapped at me.
Any suggestions on how to get her (and me ) over this? I think I have a lot of patience.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
Summer

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
A lot of cats don't like their feet to be handled. She may have had a bad experience in her past.

Is she declawed? In my experience many declawed cats' paws are chronically painful.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
220 Posts
Your cat's behavior with her paws being touched sounds extreme. Normally, some cats do not like you to caress their paws, but to lash out doesn't sound like a natural way to protest. Best advice I can offer, is to allow her to come to you and try not to touch her paws until she becomes more used to your ways. (Their reaction to caressing their paws is one of the shelter exams that I give any furkid before I would consider adopting.)

I adopted a part- Russian Blue kitten about 2 years ago. Puma, did not like to be picked up. Originally, she was adopted by another family but was returned when she lashed out at the kids in the family. She still does not like to be picked up, and she will often lash out at any other furkid who annoys her. Although she is a lap kitty, I still have to watch her expression and tail whenever she comes to me for petting. I cannot change her, she is just that way. :) Good advice from Dr. Jean also.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you!
No, she is not declawed. I guess I will just have to wait for her to become more comfortable :)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Yes -- good advice given so far. With cats, you can't TELL them to change. You can ask them nicely to do things, but in order to gain their trust you have to wait until THEY decide it's okay. So basically just do your best to keep making her comfortable. Offer her things, treats, etc -- but wait until she comes to you. You're doing the right thing if you're giving her space, allowing her to "hide" if she feels the need, and not pressuring her in any way. Never grab her out from her hiding spots, or keep trying to pet her after she lashes out.

When she lashes out at you, get up and walk away. Leave it right there, so she gets the idea that if she lashes out, the attention will end. Eventually she should come around, but each cat is different, and some cats might take longer. Unfortunately, your cat cannot tell you what she's been through. But she has her ways of communicating. And the best thing you can do to communicate with HER is to make her feel safe. Thank you for being her angel and giving her a home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When she lashes out at you, get up and walk away. Leave it right there, so she gets the idea that if she lashes out, the attention will end
Actually after a "lash", she gets up and walks away :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts