Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer any suggestions? I just adopted a 3 year old male cat from Save A Pet, an animal adoption center.

Every since I got him home he's been vomitting at least once a day. We've been to the vet several times a week.

He's been on antibiotics and antifungus medications. He's on prescription pet food. He's had x-rays, been de-wormed, tested neg for heart worm. Still he vomits at least once a day. It's been 3 weeks now.

Fortunately he must feel okay because he is very active and happy.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
761 Posts
Many things can cause vomiting. Usually they've eaten something disagreeable, eaten too much or too fast, are overly excited or nervous, have hairballs, or another more serious medical problem. Most commonly, a cat vomits because it has hairballs. To check for this, check the vomit carefully for small grayish pellets or lumps. Another common reason for vomiting is overeating, particularly dry food. The dry food absorbs water and swells, and then they have to throw it back up. A cat may vomit when it is allergic to its food. You can check this out by trying another brand of food with substantially different ingredients and no food colorings. If the vomit is white or clear, that can be one of the symptoms of panleukopenia, feline distemper. If the vomiting occurs a couple times a day or night, defiantly consult your vet. Is your cat losing weight?

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is hard to tell for sure, however, hairballs might be the cause. Have you tried to give your cat some sort of hairball remedy? Usually I use "Petromalt" to prevent hairballs. Sometimes I also give my cat dry food, which helps to prevent hairballs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts