Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Winston for a year and a half. A month ago, I brought home a new kitten (Orville) and after a few days of stewing, Winston began to play with him and curl up with him on the couch. They fight a little, but overall they tend to live well together.

But...about a week ago, Winston started eating carpet. He's never done this before. I'm concerned it has something to do with the new kitten, because whenever we try to play with Winston, Orville runs in and "steals" the toy and the attention. Winston has thrown up a couple of times after nibbling on the carpet and I'm not sure how to resolve the problem. I've tried putting aluminum foil on the carpet where he tends to chew, but it doesn't deter him.

Help!!!

·
Registered
262 Posts
First, I am sorry this is happening.

Have you tried Bitter Apple Spray? I sprayed my carpets with that to deter any chewing and it worked like a charm. It does not stain, but I did find I had a bit of an aftertaste in my mouth after I sprayed on the carpet. You can use it on furniture, carpet, electric cords, baseboards, pretty much anything you don't want your kitty to chew.

I hope that helps to resolve your issue!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, I have not tried that yet. Where do you buy it? I am definitely willing to give it a shot!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Do you have a pet store in your town? I found it at mine in the dog isle, right next to stain and odor cleaning products.

If you don't have a pet store in your town, you can order it online. :)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Oh good! I hope it does work for you. Just make sure to use enough of the spray, one or two squirts, for me, did not cut it.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sigh. Spray doesn't work. After I first sprayed it he sniffed the carpet and glared at me as if to say, "What on earth have you done?!" and he avoided it like the plague all night. But this morning he was gnawing away at his usual spot. I sprayed quite a bit, too...

I'm clueless. I thought he might be bored, so I bought some new toys yesterday while I was at the pet store. I really don't know what his deal is. He gets tons of attention, he's spoiled rotten...I'm not sure why he's doing this or how to stop it. Argh!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe he is trying to 'eat grass'. Cats eat grass to help themselves vomit. If he is on a raw food diet -especially the full prey kind, according to knowyourcat.info (not .com), they like to eat grass to vomit up the few undigested pieces of carcass. It also says that the chlorophyll in the grass is a pain reliever/etc.

I'd say it is not a behavioral problem as much as a sign of a physical one?. The added stress of a new kitten may aggravate a stomach issue? You might get some cat grass and see if he prefers it until you get him to a vet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See, that's what worries me. He came down with what I thought was a respiratory infection about a month ago, and I did take him into the vet (one of his symptoms was clear, watery vomit). She ran blood tests and said that his platelet count was a little lower than normal and she tested him for pancreatitis, which came back negative. His organ function was all fine, from what she could tell. He started to feel better after a few days but then the carpet-eating started up and he DOES vomit about half the time he eats the carpet (which is part of the reason I'm so concerned about the new habit).

I'm thinking I need to take him to another vet for a second opinion... :( Poor baby. I'm so worried about him.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
can you put something over the carpet? A sofa? plastic wrap? something?
I tried putting aluminum foil over it and he just lifted it with his paws and pushed it out of the way. It's right in the middle of the hallway where it would be impossible to cover it with furniture or anything. I did end up finding a vet who thinks he has a respiratory infection and put him on antibiotics, so we'll see if he stops eating the carpet once he's not coughing constantly. I really hope so, because he's never done anything like this!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts