Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I adopted a 10 month old male cat from a rescue shelter a couple of months ago that I had to return to the shelter last week due to frequent urine marking issues. I cleaned each marking (that I could locate) with enzymatic cleaner each time, but have since found another spot that he hit just prior to being returned. I've owned a few cats over the years and this is the first cat with marking issues.

Should I decide to adopt a new kitten in the near future, will the scent of the markings freak out a new cat? And if so, how can I rid my house of all scents from the previous cat?

Thanks in advance! Also, for what it's worth, my home is a single cat home.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
What you need is to detect all the urine spot with a Black Light Urine Detector---Amazon has a large collection at various prices. Then use your enzymatic cleaner on all of them before you bring in a new kitten or cat. Just make sure the kitten is at least near 3 mos old and has been kept with it's mummacat and litter mates and is using a litter box successfully. You'll have a closer bond with the kitten if you let a kitten choose you----sit on the floor at the shelter and see who wants to be friendly with you. From birth to 3 mos. is their most import socialization period with other cats, animals/people where they should be gently handled, cuddled, and they learn to read body/vocal language and to control their bite and claws by wrestling with their litter mates. A kitten taken away too early that misses out on this period can often become a biter and scratcher and pugnacious. Good luck! and all the best!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts