Cat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Rio, 10 months old american shothair cat.
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am the human of a ten months old cat that my family and I adopted when she was nearly two months old.
A cat in our neighborhood gave birth a couple months ago and the kittens are starting to get independent, and there's just that one kitten that we are dying to adopt.
But we don't want to do that if it will have any kind of negative effect on our cat Rio.

Rio is a moody and reserved cat, she can bee quite playful.
She is demanding and attention seeking, she will throw a fit if we don't give her enough attention.
She sleeps most of the day and we play for an hour or so depending on her daily mood.
She is the spoiled one in the family and everything she wants she gets so she is used to getting her way.

Now, Rio is my priority, and while I want to adopt the kitten, I won't do it if it will cause problems for her.
The kitten has the same pattern as Rio, I don't know if that helps anything.
The kitten also most likely has a couple health issues like mites and the likes of it.
I just don't want to hurt my cat in the process.

So I need all the advice that I can get on whether I should go ahead with the adoption and on how to introduce them properly.
All help is greatly appreciated by the whole family :)

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
First priority is get #2 healthy while not even letting them eyeball each other. googgle Jackson Galaxy on How to Introduce cats -- which seems to be quite the theme is several queries. He is on utube so you can surf the related topics too. He is sort of 101 on Cats with a lab and a homestudy for both newbies and been at its awhile. Pop a snap in the pictures please --- Kit to the Vet is THE first move.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for your response.
and it is a no brainer to fix the kitten up first maybe even before getting her home so she doesn't contaminate Rio.
what I'm worried about is whether Rio will accept the kitten or not…
I do not want to add stress on Rio and hurt her mental health.

·
Registered
Franny -- best cat ever! purring in my heart Porch cat THE DIVIT aka Divey seriously traumatized
50 Posts
Hmmm, how would you know if you are a single cat person? Maybe Rio is truly an "only" already in your eyes? I am just observing that the thought of Rio terrorizing the wee one who still wonders if everything with 4 paws might be mum puts Rio in the "do no wrong" cat - a - gory of a one cat household and -- heart? Perhaps Paws to reflect. While you are protecting Rio's psyche who will be guardian for the wee one's?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm I see your point on how this will be hard on both of them
and that's not encouraging me on adopting
I just don't wanna hurt the cats😞

·
Super Moderator
27,073 Posts
Cinderella was my first cat and absolutely loved being the only cat. I wish I hadn't listened to other people who insisted that oh, she must be so lonely, you can't have just one cat., etc., etc. Our relationship was never quite the same after I added more cats. You've had Rio for eight months now, consider all your options, then follow your heart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah I'm a little conflicted so thank you for the advice, I guess I will figure it out eventually.
Hope things work out with Cinderella though, your intentions were good.

·
Registered
50 Posts
hmmm I see your point on how this will be hard on both of them
and that's not encouraging me on adopting
I just don't wanna hurt the cats😞
I think I was simply pointing out that the new kitty on the block doesn't have the back up support that Rio has in your heart. Scenario --- Look at your description of Rio's mood - temperament - and the family's current level of adaption and accommodation of it. New kid gets Bapped by Rio -- odds are new kid is going to be charged as the offender as evidenced by your clearly spoken concern for how this new kid would possibly disturb Rio's house rule. You really really really really love this Rio -- a lot! If your read your posts -- there is only one cat Rio that you are concerned about. In the last post last sentence === cats is plural

even the Vet trip isn't about the health of the kitten, it is to protect Rio from the kitten It is all about Rio.

it is a no brainer to fix the kitten up first maybe even before getting her home so she doesn't contaminate Rio.
what I'm worried about is whether Rio will accept the kitten or not…
I do not want to add stress on Rio and hurt her mental health.

Your loyalty is to Rio --- this consideration simply reveals just how much Rio means to you. And that! is what shines and shines and shines through and through🥰😍😊
Kitten deserves a chance to know THAT loyalty too -- from day one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I love this cat so much, my life has never been better since we got and everything is centered around her for the past half year.

and while I confess to my undying devotion to Rio, I would never favorite her over the kitten and if a problem started I just KNOW it is Rio's fault (she's a snob).

I will think about this thoroughly with my family so we don't end up hurting anyone.

I really appreciate your responses. Hope you have a great day :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts