Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope this is the right place for this post. If not, an apology to the moderators...

So I'm back looking for advice. This is something I won't do for many months (possibly a year or two), but I'd like some advice and possibly references to reading material or websites if anyone has that so I can research this thoroughly and make the best decision.

In addition to my kitty Velvet, I'd like to adopt another cat. An adult, even a senior. Kittens are great, but they usually have no trouble finding homes, and most of the local shelters and cat rescue organizations in my area are overflowing with older animals who are just as deserving of good homes. Since I would dearly love another feline, I figure I can do something mutually beneficial...that is, satisfy my craving for another fuzzball while giving a good home to an adult cat who has fewer chances of getting adopted.

But what should I look for? Are there health and personality issues that are more common to older cats than younger ones and how do I look out for them? How do I acclimate an older animal - who probably has its own definite likes and dislikes (as opposed to a malleable kitten) - to the rules and routine of my own home?

Any advice or references to reading material would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Some cats who are older can make the adjustment and arent set in their ways. I think alot of them are grateful for the love and attention & make the transition easily.

If your trying to find a good fit in an older cat I would contact a smaller rescue group and one that possiblely fosters in their home because they would know the personalities, likes, dislikes since theyve lived with them.

I dont know of any website on this but maybe someone else would chime in and post one for you if they know.

·
Registered
7,458 Posts
Perhaps if you get an older kitty who has been fostered you would be able to find out how he/she adjusts to new situations. It might help you to find the best personality for your situation.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
I adopted Arianwen as a young adult cat, and she has adapted amazingly well to my household. I saw her on CraigsList Huntsville, and I was totally smitten. Following my heart has worked very well for me,. :luv

·
Registered
385 Posts
Try petfinder.com. They usually say whether a cat gets along with other cats or not.

Check out adoption days at various places and talk to the volunteers, they should have a good idea of a cat’s personality.

Since the older cat will be the new comer, I think you will have less of a problem with territorial issues. If you get a cat that was staying in a foster home, he/she will probably be used to dealing with other cats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts