Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have three cats: Sammy (3yo), Selma (5yo), and Lilly (10yo). We were at Petco this past weekend, and saw a beautiful 1.5yo female black kitty. She's adorable and didn't seem upset at being in cages surrounded by all these other cats. She was very friendly and was playing, and would roll onto her back to get her tummy scratched.

Well, we're seriously considering adopting her, but we're worried about upsetting the other cats. They've been a threesome for almost three years. We don't know how they would react.

Selma will be fine; she's very independent and probably wouldn't care at all. Sammy and Lilly demand a lot of attention, they're the ones we're worried about.

Are we overreacting? They'll probably hiss at each other for a while then get along just fine after a few weeks. Space isn't an issue, it won't get too crowded.

We're trying to give this cat a nice home, but also trying to consider our other cats feelings (assuming they care ...)

Help!

·
Registered
917 Posts
i think you should be okay if you make sure to introduce them right. take it very slow.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There are a lot other working 'theories' on introducing a new cat to an established household. Personally, every situation and every cat is different. There is just no way to predict how a cat will react. The most difficult for me was a 3yo whom I found out real quick, had never been around other cats. That was hard. To this day, my youngest seems to irk the wrath of my oldest without much effort, they've just never liked each other, but they get along well enough and don't trash the place to much. I think patience and making sure to pay attention to all the cats equally usually smooths things out eventually. :wink:

·
Registered
252 Posts
Slowly and with time it should work out fine. The new cat and your current cats are used to being around other cats, so that a help. I'd say go for it. Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
28,614 Posts
Giving them all the same smell will help. Put a drop of vanilla on the back of all of their necks, and exchange bedding every night. Take your time with the introduction. It usually works out. Good luck! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
just introduced a new kitty

I have a good sucess story, and some recommendations. I just adopted an 8 wk old kitten from the shelter and brought her home to my 1.5 yo kitty. I have a two bedroom apartment with a bathroom off of the room that I sleep in. I set that room up with a litter pan, food, ect., and kept the little one in there. To introduce their smells I fed Mirri (the older cat) treats by the door. She was disturbed by the little white paw that emerged from under the door, and I introduced them when I couldn't take her discomfort any longer (2 days). They sniffed each other, the kitten pounced, and my cat ran away! They spent the rest of the evening chasing each other and testing the bounds. After only two days they have eaten out of the same bowl (at the same time!), used each other's litter, and done a lot of playing.
I'm not sure exactly why this was such a sucess. My older one is a very social cat, and that could have helped.
I'm one relieved mommy!

Good luck with your introduction,
ajrich

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We're going to meet with the foster mom sometime next week. I want to spend some time with the kitty in a more comfortable environment, even though she didn't seem to be phased by being at the Petco.

It would be nice to interact with her when she can walk and play around, instead of being caged up.

I think we're gonna get her...

Here she is :

http://www.pets911.com/services/adoptio ... Code=85044

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We got Maxie today. Her temperment is amazing. Right now, she's in the bedroom hanging out by the sliding door. The other cats don't seem to know she's here yet; they're behaving normally.

Maxie doesn't seem nervous or scared at all!

I'll post pictures of her in a bit :lol:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
She is gorgeous - congratulations + it is so nice of you to adopt!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turns out Maxie is extremely camera shy. She ran away when I pointed it at her. The photos will have to wait for a little bit.

We're taking her to the vet tomorrow, she might have some ear mites. There's some brown stuff in her ears.

She hasn't been in contact with any of the other cats (except some sniffing under the doors).

Seems like ear mites in adopted cats is very common. The second cat we adopted had a bas case of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Here's Maxie, we've been trying to get a better shot of her but she bolts when she sees the camera.

Ever since we adopted her, we've been thinking that she reminds us so much of another cat we had seen.

I'll try to get a better pic of her face with her two teeth hanging out! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The intros have gone very well.. Maxie spent the first few days in our bedroom and wasn't venturing out.

But now, she spends most of the day out hanging around with the other cats. They're still slightly weird around her, but there's no hissing at all. They even all gather around to play with the toys together.

Maxie sleeps on the bed between us, which is upsetting our oldest cat Lilly; she doesn't enter the bedroom when Maxie is in there. Hopefully she'll be fine with that in a few weeks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I am sure they will all be best freinds in no time. You have a wonderfull kitty family! Congrats on your new addition.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts