Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just called the ASPCA turns out they adopted ALL of their kittens out yesterday. Made sense because I was calling them and I couldn't get to them. In addition, their truck was in my neighborhood. They ignored everyone who came to their truck. I asked her if any of them were Calicos. She said no, but didn't seem knowledgeable because I also asked her what breed of cats do they usually have. She said Domestic Short Hair and Domestic Long Hair. This was also after I asked her if they had Bombays and she said yes. I informed her that a Calico can be Domestic Short Hair and Domestic Long Hair. I might have to go there.
Because I was obviously talking to someone who had no idea what they were talking a bout.

Also, I might have to spend an entire weekend looking for kittens. Also, you have to pay a fee to hold a kitten and I refuse to pay a fee to hold a kitten that I might not even click with. I want to see the kitten, hold them play with them before I choose it.

Seems like they NEVER have kittens and they probably won't have the kittens I am looking for anyway.

I don't want to do this, but I will probably have to call ACC for they might have what I'm looking for. I just feel they don't take good care of their animals and I honestly don't want to adopt kittens that have health issue from
the beginning.

· Registered
1,268 Posts
so many kittens!

wow. i guess that's good AND bad. good that all the kittens were adopted, but bad that so many people just want the kittens and not the older kitties. :-(

i hope you find the right kitten for yourself soon, though.

and i wouldn't expect the volunteers at the ASPCA to be real knowledgeable about breeds. most of them probably are there because they just love animals and want to do their part, but aren't experts on details. try not to be too hard on them. :wiggle

· Registered
8,949 Posts
I'm not sure what you think she was incorrect about. It's POSSIBLE to find purebred cats at the shelter but it's rare and not likely, therefore m0st cats are Domestic short/medium/longhairs. They MAY get Bombay crosses there but it's a rare breed and therefore unlikely to be found there. I agree about not being too hard. If you were in the middle of your job and someone stopped you and kept grilling you on something that's not your department you'd probably blow them off too. That's IF it's a job and they aren't just an overworked and under appreciated volunteer.

Why do you assume they MUST have some calicos? Not all DSH/DMH/DLH are calicos, they come in all colors. They very well may not have any calicos there right now.

I wouldn't recommend adopting based just on color. You want to go to the shelter and play with a variety of kittens/cats and see which one picks you. You don't want to be so narrow in your options that you miss a soul kitty that will be your best friend.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wouldn't recommend adopting based just on color. You want to go to the shelter and play with a variety of kittens/cats and see which one picks you. You don't want to be so narrow in your options that you miss a soul kitty that will be your best friend.
I must admit that ever since I've seen the color coating on the Calico, I have wanted one. But I don't think it's any different than people who fill out breed request forms requesting a specific Breed. I don't plan on going to the shelter and adopting the only calico regardless if we click or not. I want to make sure me and the kitty are right for eachother. And who knows, I might just go there ask for a Calico, they might have many Calicos and I adopt a totally different color coating because we've bonded. That has ran through my mind many times as well, but I still want that option available.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
Do NOT adopt calicos. They are bad. Really really naughty girls. They would be the last cats I would ever bring home. Adopt a black kitty, they're the most special, and usually the last ones to find homes.

I repeat. Do not adopt a calico.

· Registered
1,719 Posts
I suggest you go to the ASPCA and see the cats they have for yourself. It's a whole different experience than seeing a photo on a webpage or getting information by phone. The other thing is they do not collect a fee to hold a kitten for you. They collect the fee after you have signed the papers to adopt the kitten you selected. They have a questionnaire to match you with the best cat for you, and it is only after this that you are even allowed to view any cats. I have had more than one adoption from them so I am speaking from experience.

I am not trying to sway you from your dream kitten, but there may be young cats (under a year) that aren't the little wee kittens most people go for that would be perfect for you. I would go check it out before abandoning the idea.

Regarding the volunteer, I wouldn't be so hard, either. The first time I went I met this really socially inadequate young man. At first, he seemed rude, but I kept talking to him trying to get him out of his shell. After a good 20 minutes or so, we found some common ground, and he actually was very sweet in the end. If it wasn't for him, I probably would not have ended up with Azalia since another family was there at the same time and had her out of her enclosure. If it hadn't been for him helping us scoop her up the second she got back, she would've had another home altogether today. You just never know; keep an open mind.

· Registered
414 Posts
I agree with the above posts. Kittens are so darn cute. They really are. But they don't stay kittens very long at all so I wouldn't limit my options to just kittens. I got my two at 5 months old and they already look like cats, not kittens. But I knew that, as I've had cats before and figured I'd rather just skip the baby kitten stage anyway. They are still young enough not to be totally set in their ways and to adapt easily to our family but not itty bitty babies either. As for the color... meh... I'd go and look. You never know who you might fall in love with. I wasn't worried about color, but my son wanted a black cat and I know they are harder to find homes for, so black was my preference. She happened to come with a ginger colored brother. Two for one! LOL!

· Registered
8,949 Posts
Not to mention the ENERGY LEVEL! I love Boo but if I had it to do over I would have gotten an adult cat.

It would have saved aggravation for both MowMow and myself...not to mention countless items that he broke.

· Registered
56 Posts
Do NOT adopt calicos. They are bad. Really really naughty girls. They would be the last cats I would ever bring home. Adopt a black kitty, they're the most special, and usually the last ones to find homes.

I agree, black cats are the beat :) I adopted one about a year ago because I heard that they have the hardest time finding homes. And he has been the sweetest most affectionate and social cat I have ever been around.

· Registered
39 Posts
I love black cats, I had one when I was a youngin'. (My dear friend had one named Pounce who was a black, ball of love. He loved to be held and loved to lick the condensation off your glass. She currently has a black one named Sphinx (often called Pinky) who is a portly fellow.)

I always thought the next cat I would own would be black but as soon as I saw June I feel in love. I guess even if you have an idea of what the "perfect" cat will be you'll fall in love with which ever connects with you.

(Sorry... guess my comment is a bit off topic from the ASPCA topic. lol)

· Premium Member
18,372 Posts
It sounds like you're considering the process of finding a kitten a big hassle and a chore. Maybe this isn't the right time for you to do this. "Spending an entire weekend" looking for a kitten is nothing compared to the time you'll spend dealing with kitten messes, broken stuff, scratched up furniture, chewed on stuff, etc.

· Registered
54 Posts
Hi,

I think that if you want to go to a shelter to adopt a cat, you should not be biased about coat color...
You are for sure looking for a cat friend to share your life, so please, be open minded about the cats you will meet there!

You may find that you ''click'' with a cat that was not what you went there for in the first place.
You may find that there is an adult cat there with whom you really bond with at first sight!
He/she may be a very old cat to whom you can give loving last days to in a loving home...
Or you may find that color and gender no longer matter when a very personable cat draws your attention!

In any case, props to you for wanting to adopt from a shelter!

sandyrivers

· Registered
786 Posts

What's wrong with Calico's? Out of my 3, my calico is the sweetest and most well behaved cat, maybe out of every cat I have ever met.

If you are set on a calico and theres none at the shelter, I would try either another shelter, petfinder.com, or a local cat rescue.

· Super Moderator
27,274 Posts
What's wrong with Calico's? Out of my 3, my calico is the sweetest and most well behaved cat, maybe out of every cat I have ever met.

If you are set on a calico and theres none at the shelter, I would try either another shelter, petfinder.com, or a local cat rescue.
Joking. Please refer to my signature. :grin:

· Registered
49 Posts
Not to mention the ENERGY LEVEL! I love Boo but if I had it to do over I would have gotten an adult cat.

It would have saved aggravation for both MowMow and myself...not to mention countless items that he broke.

I agree totally! I adopted two black kitties 4 months ago. One is female, Ximena, now 1 year old. The other is male, Trey, now 8 1/2 months. He is by far the most affectionate cat I've ever had, but he's also such a kitten. Most of us here know what that means!

If I had it to do over again, I would consider an adult companion for Ximena. Thankfully both cats get along very well. I can't wait for Trey to grow up.

· Registered
362 Posts
IMO, there is nothing wrong with wanting a calico kitten. We all have our preferences. I prefer short haired over long haired and black over white. That doesn't mean I hate long haired white cats. I love all cats.

Many people adopt kittens and dump them at a shelter years later. If you are giving a kitten a forever home then you are ensuring there is one less cat at the shelter years from now.

As 3furbabies suggested, try PetFinder.com. You can enter Calico for the breed, choose Baby and see what Calico kittens are nearby.

Good luck!

· Registered
2,674 Posts
It's POSSIBLE to find purebred cats at the shelter but it's rare and not likely, therefore m0st cats are Domestic short/medium/longhairs.

There you go. Dashing peoples hopes and dreams again.

Humiliating me for my grammar isn't enough for you?

Go back to tearing the wings off flies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.