Cat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found out that I am allowed to have 2 cats in my apartment. I always thought that we were only allowed to have one, otherwise we probably would have adopted 2 when we got Banjo. So now I have been trying to figure out where to get another cat, and it is not an easy decision for me.

I had planned on getting a kitten from a guy who works with a friend of mine, who's cat had kittens a few weeks ago. I called the guy and he said that his girlfriend wants 2 or 3 of the kittens, but didnt know which ones she wanted yet.(they are only about 5 weeks old now) I told him that I would pick mine after she picked hers just in case she decided she wanted the one that I picked....well he keeps telling me to call back because she hasnt decided yet, so I havent seen these kittens in person yet. They have not been vet checked, are outside cats, and he is pushing to get rid of them at 7 weeks which is way earlier than I would like. My plan was to try to talk to him and hopefully gain some trust and maybe talk to him about spaying/neutering his cats, and keeping the kittens with mom a little longer (He has more than one cat that "keeps getting pregnant") I am not sure how that would go, but I wanted to at least let him know about some low-cost spay/neuter programs.
I feel like I would be saving one of these kittens, especially since he is taking them away from mom too early and giving them out to anyone who will take them, its a high probability that they will end up at a shelter at some point down the road.

For some reason, I have also been checking craigslist just to see cats in need of homes. Well, this afternoon saw this:

Free kitty kat need home ASAP

and of course i called immediately. The person never answered my phone call and never replied to a text I sent. I am a little upset because it was posted on friday but I didnt see it until today and it says "need to find a home tonight" I would have taken this cat in a second. I am hoping that they found a home for the cat, or that she will call me back tomorrow but who knows.

So now I have been torturing myself looking at "special needs" cats with local rescues, particularly momma cats who have been overlooked while their kittens have been adopted.

I am also considering going to a high-kill shelter that is not far from me, and picking a cat that looks scared or just asking them which one has the least amount of time left....

Money is also an issue, and the kittens that havent seen a vet would be the priciest option for me. Shots, exam, tests, and spay/neuter at my vet would probably be pushing $300-$400 range. The high-kill shelter is only a $65 adoption fee and come with a spay/neuter certificate.

Sorry I am kind of just venting, I just want to give a kitty a good life and I am not sure of the best thing to do. When we got Banjo it was just a fly by the seat of our pants kind of decision and we didnt have time to think about it like this. Any advice is appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
18,383 Posts
If money is an issue then it's not the right time to find another cat. Even if a cat has seen a vet...there's no guarantee that it won't need medical treatment right away. Kobi was fine when I got him...in the first month I spent almost $500 on a UTI and a URI. Holly came from a breeder, fully vetted. First month she had unexplained diarrhea and an issue with her tail.

Also, if you can't afford these expenses for a new cat...what happens if Banjo gets sick? How will you pay his medical bills? And if you do bring in a new cat...you might have bill for Banjo...stress of a new introduction can often bring out URI or UTI in the resident cat. Or there could be a skirmish where one or both incur an injury.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When is money not an issue? I am not saying i cant come up with the money for the vet bills if i need too, i am saying that paying $65 up front is much less of a stress than $300. I think anyone will agree to that. When my cat was diagnosed with cancer last year i spent a few thousand dollars treating him. Did i have that kind of money to spare? No. But i was able work it out because I had to. There is nothing i wouldnt do for my pets and i can afford to share my home with another cat.

·
Super Moderator
26,669 Posts
Money is also an issue
You can't really post something like that and not expect feedback.

I have a feeling the "free" kitty might have had peeing issues. I mean, really, that cute kitten has to go that day?? Red flag!!!

And a special needs kitten/cat might be more expensive in the long run, depending on what their special need is.

Just because you've discovered you can have another cat, there's no rush. Take your time and consider everything.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
This can only be my personal choice. I would get a cat from the high-kill shelter, but then I think I'm a sucker for needy things. The torture is, of course, probably because you can't save them all.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
want to save the needy ones

The torture is, of course, probably because you can't save them all.
totally agree. that's the hardest thing to deal with. wish i could adopt every last one of them and give them a safe and loving home. but our current priority IS the older ones that have been at the shelters the longest and have been passed over for one reason or another. the problem with that then, is that if you adopt the ones who don't get along with other cats, then it's harder to be able to house OTHER cats unless you have completely separate areas of the house or have a mansion! it's a really tough decision to make, but we're all obviously doing what we can in our little parts of the world.

i feel bad for the kittens with your friend if you don't adopt one, but would that encourage them (or at least not DIScourage them) to keep letting that one cat get pregant? that's messed up of them for not spaying her. there are so many people out there letting their cats have babies they can't take care of. argh!

hope you find a nice needy kitty soon, shan.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you want a cat in need, honor mother's day (coming soon in the US) by adopting a mom cat whose kittens have been adopted. I was so proud of my son when he adopted the last kitten from a litter at a shelter and then took mom home too. Many moms are barely out of kittenhood themselves when impregnated so they need love too.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I'm sure you're also considering what kind of cat you think BANJO would like, who would he get along with? Chances are Banjo will see more of the new kitty than you will (unless you work from home).
Personally I would adopt from a shelter or rescue organization, and reward them for their efforts.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the opinions guys, i was actually wondering if taking one of these guy's cats would be bad since it makes it easier on him-- why would he get his cat fixed if he has no problems finding good homes for them? On the other hand, i was hoping to be able to maybe encourage him to get his cats fixed(allthough really, what are the chances of him listening to me) i called him this morning and he said he would call me right back but he didnt...its almost like i am bothering him because i want one of the kittens he was so "desperate" to get rid of.

I saw a beautiful calico momma cat last night on a rescue's website that said she had no inquiries in 9 months! She was only a year old herself, the poor baby. I think it was an old posting though, it was a feature and she wasnt on the adoptable page.

As far as Banjo goes, he is such a great well-rounded cat that i think he would get along with anybody. The only thing i would worry about is An older cat, as banjo is only 9 months so i wouldt want him to pick on an older cat that wouldnt have the energy to keep up or put him in his place.

I am starting to think that rewarding a rescue by taking one of their cats is a good idea...reward them for their efforts, and give them more room to help other kitties in need.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And yes, i wish i could take them all home. I wish i had my own house so i could foster, and have more than 2 :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
From my experience, if you have the possibility to choose a cat according to chances of getting along with Banjo, that's the best. You'll probably be able to find a cat in great need that also has a higher probability of compatibility with Banjo.

I just adopted the 3 cats I felt were most desperate for a home, no consideration given to affinity likelihood, and of course the 4 of us are paying a price. I don't regret it, though, because I still thank God each night when these specific 3 cats are lying next to me in bed instead of roaming the streets. I'd known them for a long time before I had the nerve to adopt them - 2 of them actually made the decision for me. :)

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I wish i had my own house so i could foster, and have more than 2 :)
I share the feeling, I have 3 and I'm hiding 2 of them from the landlord. When he came to inspect the apt a couple weeks ago, I took 2 of the cats to the streets for 9 hours (since early dawn till he left) and I think it took a few years from my life. I spent most of the time cleaning the apt. over and over and crying. I had to take them outside early dawn because I'm hiding them from the neighbors too. I just like the apt., so I'm fighting to stay. Worst-case scenario, if he finds out, we the von Meow royal family will proudly leave to where we're less rejected.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I have made the decision to go with a cat from a Baltimore City rescue. I just filled out my application and told them I was looking for a cat who would be able to keep up with Banjo, and preferrably a Momma cat or a cat that they have had for a while that they are having trouble finding a home for. This is a privately run rescue, that is actually just a network of foster homes. they save cats from high kill shelters and are currently full, so I figure adopting a cat from them will free up a spot in a foster home for another cat in need :)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
way to go, shan! so glad you're adopting from an organization like that. anyone who adopts a rescue is my hero.

and straysmommy, that is crazy how you've been hiding the other 2 cats from the landlord and neighbors. what a crazy life you lead! you're my hero, too! :worship

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Good for you shan! Do tell us all when you have news!

Maggie, I live in a tiny country where places to live are extremely scarce, so you breathe wrong and the landlord sends you packing, since they always have long lines of people begging them for the apt. and willing to pay higher rent than you. This is why, even though my cats don't do any harm to his apt., I can't even try to ask him for permission for 3 cats. He chose me among tens and tens of potential tenants, and one of the reasons was I didn't have pets.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts