Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I'm not sure where to post this, hope this is the right place. I posted a few weeks ago about adopting a second cat/kitten from the Humane Society. We currently have a 1.5 year old female tabby (adopted in Dec 2010).

Anyway, we were out of town from April 19th and returned yesterday. We planned going to the Humane Society this weekend to look at cats. Now I am wondering, for reasons I will explain, if we should wait, and if so, for how long. We are really anxious to get a second cat, and think the sooner the better (we've heard younger cats will adapt easier to a new cat being brought in).

On Monday, while we were away, the cat sitter wrote us a note saying Willow "got sick." The catsitter checked in with Willow Tuesday morning and wrote that everything was fine, she played, etc. When we returned Tuesday night we noticed that she had pretty bad diarrhea at some point during the day after the sitter left, and she had diarrhea about 5 more times last night (once outside of the litterbox), vomitted twice, and was acting very lethargic. This morning she is back to her old self, and it doesn't seem like we need to take her to the vet.

I'm not sure if she had some kind of separation anxiety, or a bug, or ate too much food (the cat sitter was giving her the full serving of wet food in the morning (usually she gets half at night and half in morning.. also we usually rotate between 2 wet food brands/flavors, and the cat sitter was only giving her the one brand)).

If she does well for the rest of the week, does anyone have any opinion as to whether it would be ok to bring in a new cat? They'd be separated for a while anyway, but I'm not sure if there is any rule of thumb in terms of stress and/or stomach problems with cats and whether it could be contagious etc. We would like to adopt a second cat as soon as possible, but we don't want to cause any undue stress/problems.

Thank you so much for reading.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,118 Posts
If you haven't started looking yet, I'd probably wait another week to let her recover from the stress of being ill. Is she eating OK now & stools back to normal?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This morning we gave her a little less wet food than she usually gets in the morning. She ate it, she drank a little water. My husband hung out for an hour or so before he had to go to work and she peed in the litterbox but nothing else... which I guess is a good sign, she usually doesn't go until after dinner anyway. I guess we will know more as the week goes on.

I know it is probably better to err on the side of caution and wait, even if she doesn't have another incident... we just had our hearts set on going this weekend. We've been planning and talking about it for so long, and there are a couple cats on the webpage we would like to meet that might get adopted by someone else :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,270 Posts
if it were me, i'd probably feel a lot more comfortable waiting longer. i'd like to see her poop and pee normally and not vomit at all for at least a couple weeks before changing her environment again by bringing in a new kitty. definitely the slower the change the better. 2 weeks wait is worth it if you can ensure the next 20 years are good.

and i understand about having your heart set on specific kitties you've seen on a website or in person. i've tortured myself many times by visiting shelters and playing with kitties whom i've thought would be great pals for our kitty at home, but we're just not ready for a 2nd kitty. (actually it's our house that's not ready, not us) i want those kitties for myself, but if they actually do get adopted before i'm ready, then that's GREAT, too! that means they've found a home, which is the whole point, right? so, i am sad for me, but extremely happy for the kitties. :jump
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,383 Posts
Waiting a few weeks would be the best thing. A new cat in the house is extremely stressful to the resident cat. Even if you're keeping them separate she will still know the new one is there. You want your introduction to go smoothly and throwing a potential illness into the mix can really complicate things. Wait until she is ready...a few weeks is not going to impact the success of an introduction, but an illness will.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you. I think we will definitely wait another week or two. Willow seemed fine after I got home from work... not 100% herself but pretty close. She ate her usual amount of wet food, drank some water and even played a little. A few hours later she had diarrhea again. An hour or so after that she vomitted.

We called the vet and took her in as an emergency. The vet said she was dehydrated and gave her fluids and an antibiotic and anti-nausea meds. The x-ray showed no obstructions and her bloodwork was clear. The xray also showed that her stomach and colon were enlarged due to gas. The vet said that wasn't normal. They have a stool sample, it is clear of parasites but they are going to run some more tests. The vet said these issues could be due to stress or something she ate.

Anyone experience anything like this? Do you think this happened because we went away? We've gone away before and it has been fine... I'm upset because we have a 10 day trip scheduled in late August for a wedding in Europe and I'm worried. Thanks for reading.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top