Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a pretty upsetting day and could use some happy thoughts... One of my favorite thing about working with animals is seeing them find their way into their very own loving, forever home. Please, I would love to hear everyone's adoption stories, the story behind finding their fur babies and bringing them home!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
When I started volunteering for the local rescue group, I promised my dad I wouldn't bring home any cats (he thought my one I already had was too many!).
A couple weeks later, some lady dropped off a black cat. I don't know what the reason was, as I was busy elsewhere, and never bothered to really ask (as I hadn't planned on even taking her anyway!). Well, at the end of the day, we couldn't find anybody that would foster her. So I said "I guess I could take her, just for the weekend, and that would give you time to find somebody else".
Nobody was found, so I ended up keeping her the whole week. Brought her back to adoptions on Saturday. Still nobody had room...so another week. And another....and another...
Eventually I just figured that I would foster her. So I brought her every Saturday - after wrestling her into the carrier, which she absolutely feared. Actually, I don't think she minds the carrier so much. It's the cage at adoptions. That big pet store, with all the strange smells, noises, people mulling about (and some poking their fingers through the bars to tease the cats and be amused by the reaction).
Almost impossible to adopt, as she got several things going against her:
* Adult. Only a couple years old, but out of the "cute kitten" stage.
* Black. "Bad luck", of course :roll:
* Is a "mean/bad" cat... because every time somebody came near her cage (even if they were just walking by, not even stopping to look at her), she would hiss and growl and sometimes swat. I kept trying to explain that she was just scared of the strange environment, but apparently very few people really understand...or care.

SO! I quit bringing her to adoptions, and just kept her at home with her picture/profile up on PetFinder. Well, after 2 years, the supervisor told me I might as well just keep her. So I filled out adoption papers - but didn't have to pay the fee, since I guess my volunteering made up for that.

I think she was abused a bit by her other owners. When I first got her, I couldn't get within reach. She would flinch and skitter away when I reached my hand out, like she thought I would hurt her. While she's not that bad now, and I can pet her, she still has more the attitude of "You will pet me when I allow it. I can touch you, but you can't touch me" sort of thing. She'll be on the bed at night, but not snuggled against me...just curled up at the foot of the bed.
I'm not upset at not having a "lap cat", so don't expect her to change too much. If she does, eventually, that's okay... if not, that's okay too. At least now she's safe and pampered! ^_^

Her name was Lily, but she just doesn't seem like a Lily to me. For one thing, she's not white. For another, she's not very dainty, either! So I thought of something that fit better.... since she's all black (like outter space), with only a few smudges of white (like random clouds), I named her Nebula.

·
Super Moderator
26,496 Posts
I have always considered myself a dog person, I have always wanted a dog. I moved into a new little (tiny!) place and was looking on Craigslist for free patio furniture. I saw Cinderella's ad in the Free section, cleverly worded, her stepsisters were jealous of her beauty, etc. Something about her just touched me. In this new place, I was allowed to have cats, but no dogs. I thought about it all weekend, and on Monday, I called and went to go meet her. The guy said she had litter box issues and the other cats picked on her, so he'd been keeping her in his spare bathroom since he bought his new house. (A house FULL of cats and dogs.) As the conversation went on, I realized he had been in his new place NINE months! He brought her out to me and she was a mess! Hadn't been groomed since forever, I was literally covered in white hair, poor little thing clung to me for dear life. And all I could think was that I did NOT want this cat! The last thing I need in a new place with hardwood floors is a cat that pees all over the place and sheds like mad. But as he was putting her back in the bathroom, after prying her off me, I asked if she knew her name, and he said, "I don't know, I don't really talk to her."

That did it. I decided then and there that I would take her and find her a better home. So I left his house with Cinderella, her filthy litterbox, a horrible old cat carrier and cans of tuna, which he'd been feeding her (not tuna-flavored cat food, actual cans of tuna). And absolutely no idea of what to do with a cat.

I let her out of the carrier right into the litter box, so she'd know where it is - not that I had any hopes of her using it. I turned the lights down low and went into the bedroom. She immediately ran under the bed. I put some tuna in a bowl and put it down by the bed. After a while, she crept out and inspected the tiny little house. To her delight, there were NO other animals!! And she used the litter box! I was so happy, that would make it much easier to find her a new home.

But by the end of that first night, she was on my bed, sleeping with me, and in my heart forever.

And shortly after that, I joined Cat Forum, where I quickly learned that she shouldn't be eating tuna. :grin:

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I feed a strays' colony downstairs. One very stormy night, it was raining heavily and I had finished feeding the cats and was in the building lobby with 2 of the strays whom I allowed inside and on the lobby sofa for the night for shelter. Suddenly I heard arguing from the parking lot. I could hear the building super scolding someone, then I realized he was telling a cat: "Don't be silly! Come in already!" I heard them argue for some time (the cat would whine back at him) so I went to see. It was a huge, white cat, and he was begging by the door of the building from the parking lot, but wouldn't come in. I had a little milk leftover that I'd given the other cats (I had 4 strays sheltered that night in the building) and gave it to him. When he finished lapping, I closed the door behind him, but the scent of the other cats freaked him out and he started dashing to the doors yelling to be let out. I tried to persuade him to stay but in the end I had to let him go and last I saw of him he was in a puddle of muddy rain, crying in the parking lot. It broke my heart.

A couple days later I started seeing him in the feeding station where I feed my strays. I noticed he was friendly, but with time I realized he must've been a house cat, because he was so naturally friendly. He'd sit on my lap for as long as I'd let him. He was always by the supermarket.

I started getting him used to following me into the lobby of the building, but he'd only come up to the door and leave because of the other strays that are often there. One day, though, he followed me into the lobby and didn't freak when I closed the door, even if the other cats were around. He slept for a long time on my lap in my arms, his head on my arm like a baby, his belly exposed. I then realized that he wouldn't last in the street. He doesn't belong there.

I was lucky that one day I succeeded in making him follow me all the way up the stairs (5 floors!) and into my apt. I then gave him a treat and cautiously closed the door behind him, which he didn't mind. I didn't let him out again, and he never asked either.

I looked everywhere for his owners, I was convinced I'd find them, but nothing. One day I had to face the hard truth: he had no owners looking for him. We were both very sad that night, holding onto each other. My landlord had also given the final NO. My father, my last family, was dying in the hospital. I put the cat back in the street and my soul hurt like it was being ripped in two.

I shared the story on the Feral Cats forum and got a kick in the **** for leaving the cat outside. I got advise from 2 people I know in real life too, and one offered to let the cat live in her yard with the other strays there. The landlord gave me 2 weeks to put him back in the street. The supermarket guard told me "if you care for this cat, take him home, because he's always going into the supermarket and I kick him out every time. We're all fed up." I decided to keep him for 3 weeks and then take him to my friend's yard.

By the end of the 3 weeks, I didn't even remember that I had a plan to take him somewhere else. My father died and my cat was all my family. It was clear to me that wherever the landlord sent my cat, I'd follow my cat.

Today we celebrate one month of living together. He's passed his vet tests with flying colors, he's transitioned to a raw diet, and today I'm getting him an engraved tag so everyone knows he's mine.

A couple days ago, the supermarket staff decided to tell me the story: the cat was being fed and pampered by the previous guard, some patrons complained about the cat always hanging around the supermarket, they said it'd bring disease and demanded the cat be removed from the surroundings. Other patrons complained to the Soc. for the Protection of Animals and prepared a lawsuit. The cat got a lawyer. The guard that took care of him was transferred to another branch. The cat remained alone and starving in the rain, and that's when I met him.

The first year of his life is still a mystery, though.

Photos of Prince in my profile album.

I just asked if he has something to add, but he only sent you all a yawn and went back to sleep... I guess no news is good news! :)

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I've told his story before but... I'm always happy to talk about The Mow.

When my husband and I divorced I moved into an apartment and he got custody of the cat and dog. I was ok for awhile but then I started missing having someone waiting for me when I got home so I went to the local Humane Society to find a cat.

I knew exactly what I wanted. A grey striped tabby with a doglike personality. I looked @ 3 cats and the volunteer told me they had one more in the community cat room that had been there for a long time. I decided to check him out.

I briefly patted the cat on the shelf when I walked in and I remember thinking "wow, he's common looking" and headed for the grey tabby. I was trying to coax the grey out from under a shelf when I felt someone poking me in the back. I turned around and the common looking cat MROWED right in my face. Rinse and repeat that three times so I finally paid some attention to the cat formerly known as Woody (now MowMow). I still didn't want him and started to walk out but he was pawing at my shoulder as I passed him. The volunteer told me that he'd been there a while and hadn't let anyone handle him much. That he struggled during vet exams and didn't like to be held. He was listed as an independant cat that wasn't overly friendly.

I told her to wrap him up, I'd take him. Once home I learned that his struggling was due to pain from UTI and serious ear infections. He's never struggled when I held OR medicated him or groom him or clip his nails.... He just deals with it and forgives me instantly.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I love reading these stories!

We had just lost our beloved Rookie to epilepsy in February 2008. She was my first cat ever and I was devastated. When we were at the vet's office having her put to sleep, I said to my husband, "Over my dead body will we get another cat." I was just heartbroken and didn't want to put myself through it again.

But that's before I realized how empty the house seemed without a furball to lavish attention on. Within 4 days I was looking at the SPCA listings. You know, it can't hurt to look. Of their 300 cats I had my eye on an orange cat named Fred who was declawed and "very affectionate." Ding ding ding, we have a winner.

On March 9 we went to the SPCA and asked for Fred. In the arms of a volunteer out came Fred, who was being kept in a back area where he couldn't even have been seen by potential adopters. I'll never forget the happy, excited look on his face as he was carried out of that cage, where they said a sign on his door called him a "cage-darter." We went to a small office where we could meet him.

I've never seen anything like it. Fred was immediately purring like a Harley, rubbing against us, lifting himself up to touch noses, sniffing around, and being the happy-go-lucky cat that Rookie had never been. The SPCA woman said, "You're showing yourself very well today, Fred." The comment from his first owner on the paperwork was, "Very lovable. Needs a lot of attention." Didn't that turn out to be the truth.

So it was all over, this was our boy. To my surprise, the SPCA woman said that because we had adopted there before, we could take him home that day. We had gotten rid of all of our cat supplies when Rookie died. (It's something I do in times of great loss.....get rid of everything that might remind you of them. It's how I cope.) Anyway, we left him at the SPCA, rushed off to Petsmart and bought everything new, and went back and picked him up. He'll be 5 in May.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I love your stories! :cat

Gatito's story:. We (my boyfriend and I) rescued Gatito from a Home Depot parking lot when he was around 2 months old (November 2009). I'm pretty sure he was abandoned there (people...). Poor thing, he was in a terrible condition: worms, fleas, a severe case of conjunctivitis and URI, seriously undernourished... First vet we took him to said he wouldn't make it. He was wrong: after months of treatment and love he got well and became the beautiful -and huge- cat he is now. (Thanks to Lorena our vet)

Here's a picture of the first day, you could hold him in your hand

This was exactly a year ago, such a cutie

This is Don Gatito today, not always happy about being held

Coming Soon: Chiquis' story :)

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
when at my parents on the thanksgiving trip we got yeti, he had a sister. we watched and handled both kittens for about 4 days, yeti loved to be inside, loved to play with the indoor cat toys, his sister when brought in, kept wanting back out. wasn't thrilled about being handled. the neighbor called to tell my parents that their neice wanted (and was allowed) to get a kitten, the choice was made that yeti to be was going with us. the girl(about 12years old) came over with her parents, she picked up what had been a sqirmmy little kitten, it went limp in her arms and turned on the purr box.. pixie as she is now known had found her person..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Doesn't this thread strike a chord in everyone's hearts? It reminds me of the other thread about our furkids being sent to us just when we need someone the most.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
Yes, it's really touching to hear how many people have really put themselves out for an animal. We have to remind ourselves that there are tons of animal lovers out there who are trying to do the right thing. You just don't hear about those people on the news.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My dear lovable Sherlock, we had just moved into these apartments last year and I wanted a cat. So we went to a shelter and they had a big cat room that was mostly glass so the cats could look out and see the sun. There were about ten cats in that room, and I made my rounds with my husband. I had no idea what I wanted. But the cats I tried to initiate contact with either ignored me, and a couple swatted at me or tried to bite me. So we were about to leave when i decided to just sit down on this bench they had in there and just see what would happen. Then Sherlock came out. I don't know where he had been the whole time, but he just slowly walked up to me and sat in my lap, looked at me and meowed. And I just knew, he was meant for me. His name was Booker then, we changed it to Sherlock because of his very inquisitive nature. He is such a laid back little guy. I adore him.

Sasha was abandoned in the parking lot near my car. She was barely 6 weeks old at the time, very tiny and dirty. My chinchillas actually weighed more than her at the time. She had a URI and fleas. I took her to the only shelter that was open at that time and they pretty much said they'd put her to sleep because they couldn't do anything for her there. She looked at me and gave me this sad little meow and I knew I had to keep her. I took her to the vet, I gave her her medicine and nursed her back to health and now she is about 6 months old, almost 7 pounds, and a charming little princess. Sherlock loves her and they both get along wonderfully. So it turned out well.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It was back in July 2000 and my friend Greg and I were doing a long bicycle ride. We started at my house and went all the way down into Dutchess County, about 25 miles.

We were breezing along a quiet road when I saw a flash. A kitten? Yes, a kitten. It was tiny and ran into the brush so fast I nearly missed it. We got off our bikes to investigate. Sure enough, there it was, trying to run away and hide, a grayish kitten the size of a tennis ball. Way too small to leave out here in the middle of nowhere on its own.

The kitten was determined not to be caught. Even though it was so small it was fast and the bushes were thick. After 20 minutes and a few near grabs, I reluctantly gave up. But Greg was persistent. Suddenly we flushed it out into the road and Greg pounced. The tiny kitty bit him in what was surely one last desperate attempt to survive. Greg held on. After that, the kitten relaxed.

We had a good look at it. Emaciated and dehydrated, it was pitiful. We gave it water from our bottles and a piece of Rice Krispie bar. Now what were we going to do? We were 25 miles from home but only about 3 miles from my cousin Margaret’s house. Poor Greg had to hold the kitty as best he could while I pedaled for help. Thank goodness Margaret was home; we grabbed her carrier and jumped in her car. I wedged my bike in the trunk.

There was Greg, still gamely holding the kitten. Margaret took the kitty to her house while Greg and I pedaled home, got my car and drove back. Tigger went from a starved, desperate kitty to a cute little black and gray tabby in just a few weeks.
He’ll be 11 this spring and sleeps next to my head every night.
Sometimes when he's in a really affectionate mood I'll pet him and tell him the story of the day we found him. He seems to like this.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hey really? Maybe I should tell Jack his story too. He likes having these cat conversations with me and I run out of topics sometimes. I do tell him how I'm so glad he came to my house instead of someone else's or wander in the park behind my house. I also tell him I'm glad he chose to come around my house in October just before the cold weather set in.

·
Registered
8,974 Posts
I don't really tell MowMow the whole story. When we're snuzzling sometimes I'll ask him how he got in the shelter and how thankful I am that he waited for me and didn't choose someone else.

If I ever found a true animal communicator that would be the first question I'd ask. Where MowMow came from and why his people gave him up because it's always BEYOND me. The only thing I can think of is death of an elderly owner, a home foreclosure and he couldn't go (I guess some people do sort of thing) or someone got really fed up with all his medical issues.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts
I bet it was the medical issues. When we adopted Rookie, the former owners had said they "couldn't take care of her anymore." It was only in hindsight later, after I saw all the medical issues she had, that I realized that was probably a glossed-over version of the truth. She peed all over the house, she had a ruptured anal gland, she suddenly had a limp, she had to be shaved from her terrible matts, and then she developed epilepsy.

I had the luck to be able to confirm with Murphy's first owners what had really happened. The paperwork had said that he didn't get along with the other cat, so the SPCA had labeled him as a "must be an only cat." Through his vet records which were given to us, I was able to contact the first owner and first, reassure her that he was in a loving home, and secondly, ask if that was true. Sure enough, it was. I was glad to hear that people weren't labeling him as not playing well with others, if it wasn't even true.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Yes! I would ask that too! I really want to know Jack's full story. We're always curious and often ask him where he came from, if he is feral or stray..and if so, why would anyone give him up. He's such a good, sweet boy. He doesnt' raise a ruckus like Miu does. He doesn't zoom around the house.

The only reason for anyone to give him up, if he is indeed abandoned, would be that he is very talkative....he can talk your socks off..esp right before mealtimes. Non-stop, 'I'M HUNGRY!, MOOOOOMMY...OOH, My STOMACH!..MOOOOOOM'.

Yea Mowmow, I agree. Some ppl move and are somehow able to give their furkid up. How can they?! I will never understand.

But keep it coming! These stories are sooo heartwarming and help reinforce my faith in humanity.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Sherlock lived in the shelter almost his whole life. They had in his paperwork the history. Apparently he and his brother were found as strays around 6 months and then been in the shelter since. He had been transferred to that shelter a few months before I adopted him. He'll be 3 in June so he was in the shelter for a while. His brother wasn't there so I assumed he had been adopted out. But Sherlock is such a sweetie I just can't imagine how someone couldn't snatch him up. He had a bad URI according to his medical records, needed IV fluids and antibiotics for quite some time. I'm glad he pulled through and I'm glad he chose us. I sometimes wonder about his brother and where he could be, and you can tell he definitely loves having other cats around, so I'm glad he has Sasha to keep him company.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I'll never forget the day I first met Magneto. I was volunteering at the humane society and a cage full of kittens was brought it. Magneto was just a tiny white ball of fluff, skinny, dirty, big bat-ears. He and his siblings had been pulled out from under a porch and brought to the humane society. The day I first saw him, he was too small and sick to be up for adoption. I didn't see him after that- volunteers are not let into the isolation area.

About a month later, I was finally moving in to my own place and ready to adopt my first cat. I was set on rescuing a cat from the shelter and so after my application was approved I headed over to check out the cats. I really didn't have anyone in mind... but then I saw him. Those goofy mismatched eyes, so wide and scared, his pink little nose... Nito definitely stood out from his siblings with his unique eyes, and so I took him into the little room to meet him. My boyfriend and sister were with me, and they called me crazy as I considered adopting this little 4 month old kitten who was cowering in the corner, terrified and hissing. He was unique, but he was anti-social and turned off anyone interested in him. Sure, I wanted a social, cuddly lap cat, but something in those scared eyes of his just clicked with me and my mind was set, despite the protests of my boyfriend and sister. I figured this shy boy would be quiet, and I needed a quiet cat at the request of my roommates.

As I made my way out to the car, with my new kitten "Ice" in tow, I soon learned that my hopes for getting a quiet cat would be in vain. Nito yowled the whole way home. When we got home, I set up all his new stuff in my room, and he hid next to my bed for several hours. Luckily, my bed consisted of a mattress on the floor because I was temporarily staying at my mom's house so he couldn't hid under it. I laid on the mattress talking to him soothingly and soon he came out cautiously, and laid beside me, purring as I pet him. Turns out this scared little kitten was just a sensitive little softy all along! Very sensitive. From that moment on, he warmed up to me very quickly, but he liked me and only me. We decided to name him Magneto for random reasons, mostly my boyfriend's idea. But it seemed to fit him, and so it stuck.

Nito formed a very close bond with me, but he had some issues at first. He wasn't good when meeting other cats, which was a challenge when I got Chica. But through these past few years together he has totally matured, and he is now a social, calm, loving cat and he is my soul mate! He never leaves my side. He is talkative and has the funniest personality. He always knows how to make me laugh :-D I'm definitely glad I chose to adopt the seemingly vicious and anti-social, skinny awkward little kitten that day, back in July of 08!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts