Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, wasn’t sure where to post this.
My 10ish DMH tuxedo’s fur is growing in gray. Not the undercoat, since April when he began to undergo a lot of stress with illness (nothing serious but took a long time to resolve), me having to work from home (which I’m still doing and have a crazy stressful job), I have seen the gray grow out more and more and more. It is in a lot of areas of his body, his beard all the way around the head, chest, tummy, arm pits, pantaloon floof. Bloodwork done in April (but before this turned into a big issue) and it was fine.

waiting for new bloodwork to come back, and the vet said next step is a biopsy? That sounds AWFUL for him and if this is stress I don’t want that to make him worse.in the past week he also started mowing and even ripping out some fur. Indoor only, no fleas.
He’s all I have and I am so stressed out.

anyone ever seen/read about anything like this before? I’ve had him for 8 years and nothing like this has ever happened.
Help me please please any input would be so appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,346 Posts
To me his coat color looks like what's called in the cat fancy "black smoke". It is related to the "silver" gene, and black smokes are a color that can come from a black cat mated to a silver tabby. When the cat is young the whitish/light grey is slow in coming in for a year, but you say your cat is 8 yrs. old, so it's unusual that the light undercoat would be coming in at this age, but it could be caused by premature greying can happen with old age, or with cats that are sick or underfed or eating a poor diet or very stressed. Hope your vet can find out if he has an illness that may be causing irritation to point that he is ripping out some of his fur. All the best, and give us an update.
Here is an good article on good nutrition for a cat: Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts