Cat Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to add a cat or kitten to my family. We have 3 good natured laid back dogs at home already. They have been around a young kitten in the past when we used to foster. I know my dogs will be curious but gentle around a new cat or kitten. My husband and I wish is to adopt a cat between the ages of 3 yrs to 6 yrs old at the animal shelter I currently volunteer at. It's really important to us that we adopt from the same animal shelter I volunteer at. I love kittens too but I feel like Id be helping a lot more by adopting an adult cat. I also think 3-5 yrs old is still a young cat. At the animal shelter where I volunteer, they do not know much about the cat's history, as for the owner surrender cats, they can tell us what the ex owner told them but they dont know how accurate it is. Most often owners will present them with lame excuses like they are moving or they dont ahve time anymore for the cat Thus due to no fault of the cat they are being surrendered...such a sad thing! The staff do not know if any of the cats will be good with a dog. They tell me to get a kitten. Now we dont care if the dogs and the cat become best friends as long as there will be peace and no hatred between them. Now I trust my dogs because they've been around a kitten, a cat, and a pet rabbit before. If we adopted an adult cat from the animal shelter that is good natured, loves to be patted and is more of a people's cat..that's what we want...how difficult would it be to get it to accept the dogs or would it be a disaster forever. Putting the dogs aside I like the idea that the adult cat's personality will already be established like I said Id pick a cat thats really loving and laid back - that's what I want in a pet cat. Im just thinking about my dogs they are petite dogs and I wouldnt want them to get hurt and I wouldnt want to have to separate my pet cat from my pet dogs on a permanent basis. I dont mind in the beginning when I bring the cat home. Will adopting an adult cat work in my situation. Any of you brought home an adult cat frm shelter with dogs already in the house? Unfortunately we are unable to bring the dogs to the shelter to meet the cat first. Anyways thanks for your time! :razz:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts