Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I figure out what Sabre's adult weight will be? I want to be sure of amounts Im feeding to make sure I get enough of everything in that he needs. Im planning on starting the switch within a week. hes 10 weeks old and weighs 3.6 lbs on my kitchen scale. Any help would be appreciated. I think his dad was 14 lbs. But I dont know if its possible for him to bigger then that or not. He seems pretty big, but maybe Im just used to Tyger who only weighs 8 lbs, lol.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You pretty much have to guess. Was his father a healthy weight or overweight? If you want, go with 14 pounds and see how he responds to that amount of food. Keep a check on his weight though, that's a lot of food. You should be able to feel but not see his ribs. If he repeatedly leaves food behind then feed less unless he's loosing weight. It's an inexact science, you just go with what the cat tells you.

·
Banned
952 Posts
Alternatively, you can use the 4% of his weight calculation, then double that because he's a growing kitten. Might be a bit closer to what he'll actually eat than trying to calculate off his sire's weight.

As Chris said, it's an estimated guess at first, then adjust to the cat as needed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Auntie Crazy said:
Alternatively, you can use the 4% of his weight calculation, then double that because he's a growing kitten. Might be a bit closer to what he'll actually eat than trying to calculate off his sire's weight.

As Chris said, it's an estimated guess at first, then adjust to the cat as needed.

Good luck!

Thanks I tried that calculation and it gave me around 1/3 a lb. Sabres been eating about 1/2 a lb a day!!! I just started free feeding him 3 times a day. Hes getting big fast. Hes now just over 4 lbs and he wont be 12 weeks till Thursday! I just cant believe hes eating the same amount as a 25 lb dog! lol!

ETA: He's also staying healthy weight at the amount he's eating. He's got more energy than any cat Ive ever met though, lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts