Cat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sugar is about 9 1/2 lbs. Twinkie is about 8. My question is, since there is 2 kinds of Advantage...one for up to 9 lbs and one that is for over 9 lbs. Is it safe for both to use the one for over 9 lbs?

I ask b/c the vet guy said it was ok to use the one that is over b/c you can use ALOT of Advantage and it not affect the cat, implying I can put on 2 tubes and it won't harm them unless they ingest it. Is this true or should I of stuck with the one under 9 lbs :?:

·
Registered
656 Posts
I really dont feel qualified to give an opinion. I would guess it would be ok...however I dont want to say it would because I dont really know.

Lol sorry I guess I am not of much help. :? I hope you get an better answer! :D

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe its ok....I'm assuming a vet wouldn't just say that.....maybe DrJean will see this and give us an answer to it. (((=

·
Registered
107 Posts
i would wait to do it until u get a vet's opinion. i know that too much of it can be extremely harmful, i just dont know how much is too much. good luck.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Actually, I would use the one under 9 pounds for both, rather than take a chance on overdosing. It's close enough. Advantage can be toxic to the liver.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the guy kept insisting you rather use more than too little. I felt like he was more doing it b/c it cost more but I don't know how their profit lines work on selling those. Well next time I go there, I will get the one for under 9 lbs.

Do you mean over doing it by them tasting it, or do you mean when it spreads all over their fur :?:

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I had some more questions....

How does this stuff work. It says put at nape of neck and it will travel to the whole kitty body to rid of the fleas. It seems like its all near their head only so does this medicine go for all the parts like the legs and back tail?

I put Sugars flea meds on and she kept twirling around and now the medicine is all on her right side of the ear area and I think I just put it mostly on her fur not the actual skin area beneath......is this ok?

Would it be ok to brush their head area to even out the medicine if I wanted?

Is this safe to put on them all the time even if they go out maybe a few times a month on a harness :?:

Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
It's absorbed into the bloodstream, so that anywhere a flea bites, it will get a mouthful of medicine. This is also why it can cause problems for the cat if too much is applied, although they claim that doesn't happen.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
656 Posts
It really wont work unless you put it on the skin... I am kinda double posting this because I answer your post in the ^<V game to.... anyhow you have to split apart the fur all the way until you can see the skin then squeeze the medication directly on the skin.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok 2 questions

1) Is it still safe to put on even if they don't go outside much?

2) Ever since I took Sugar outside, she has been itching her ears alot. I looked in her ears and it is squeaky clean. Does she have mites now :?:

Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use advantage on Tiggy once a month (she is an outdoor cat)

I sympathise with the ear thing, Tiggy does it too & there is no sign of any redness or mites, She doesnt do it all of the time but its at least once a day as far as i'm aware :?

To get the advantage onto the skin try giving the cat a distraction like some treat food, tiggy goes crazy for felix crunchies so I give her a small handful of those & quickly part the fur with her comb (she has a thick but short coat) & apply the product while she eats, it works every time!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Advantage

The really cool thing about Advantage is that all the packages contain the same ingredients .. Cats / Dogs.. just different dosages depending on the size of your pet..... So if you know the amount that your cat needs... At one time in my life I had 5 cats that all weighed 10# plus... I was able to treat all of them with the same tube as my 70# lab was using.. each cat needed .8mls and the "Blue" advantage for 55#plus.. had 4.0 mls in each tube. do the math 5x.8= 4.0 ... and the way I did it is I would use a 2cc syringe and pull out .8 ml and remove the needle( you only use the needle to pull the medicine out of the tube) and squirt the med on the cat... pretty cool huh? it sure saves alot of money. thats for sure. and as long as you dont puncture the tube, you can just put the cap back on and use the rest next month.. .. Just make sure to rinse the syringe/ needle after your done.. and make sure the cap in on the needle... I believe the Red package for dogs contains 2.5 mls=3 large cats with a little left over... 3x.8=2.4 This is something the vets dont want you to know.. cause its taking $$$$ away from them.. (sales) Oh well... I worked for a vet for years.. This only works for Advantage!!!!! I wouldnt try this with any other flea products... It is the Same for the cats as it is for Dogs..
Good luck...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I've sent an inquiry to Bayer about whether Advantage is stable for months once it's opened. We'll see what they say.

Make sure you are using Advantage, not Advantix, which contains extra ingredients that are toxic to cats.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Got an answer from Bayer. Naturally, they don't recommend using the product in this way. From his explanation, I would be concerned about it, too.

The formulation contains alcohol in the carrier that will evaporate once the tube is opened, thus changing the concentration of the drug. Putting the cap back on will not stop evaporation because it isn't an airtight seal. After a month, the remaining liquid will be much more concentrated, and you could easily give too much by using the same volume as before.

So, it looks like you can use the dog formula for one treatment of all cats, but it would be pretty hazardous to let it sit for a month and use it again.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 16 of 16 Posts