Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just treated my two cats with this product. The shelter gave us samples when we adopted them because they were due to be treated and this is the product that they recommend. Apparently it was donated to them by a local veterinarian.

The insert claims that the product works to treat/prevent heart worm, fleas, hookworm, roundworm and ear mites. It's very expensive though.

I was wondering if anyone else has used or currently uses this product? What products do members use or recommend? I looked at buying this product online and it will cost a minimum of $2,400 to treat my two big cats for one year!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Indoor cats? Outdoor? Indoor-outdoor?

With my three cats(oh god, how did that happen?! LOL) I don't use ANY sort of product on them, unless they have a test come back positive. These products are poisons designed to kill living things. Everything says to wash your hands after handling them and keep away from kids and contact poison control if ingested etc etc etc... So why put them on/in your pet monthly as a preventative? Doesn't make sense to me... especially for indoor cats.

Just my two cents, though. :p Never used that particular product, either, but WOW 2400$ a year... Are you keeping LIONS? That is expensive *whistles*.. I'd go broke if I used those products.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
unless it is some other product with the same name it would not be that expensive. $175.00 per cat for a years worth Advantage Multi for Dogs & Cats: Heartworm/Flea Relief - 1800PetMeds

i have not used that product myself but on two of my feral cats i use revolution Revolution for Dogs & Cats - Flea and Heartworm Control - 1800PetMeds

Haha thanks for pointing out my oversight! I didn't read that this was the price for a 12 month supply, I thought it was for one month.

I apoligize, I'm preparing to sit for my nursing licnesure boards and a bit sleep deprived.

They're indoor cats, and although I can understand the point of view that they're poisonous, as a nurse I also feel obligated to give my new kitties the best preventative medicine I can.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
If they are indoor only kitties and and you don't have any other pets (like a dog) that goes outside I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Unless your cat has fleas there's no need to use it. My cat is indoor/outdoor and she had a bad reaction to Advantage, she was poisoned by it; acting jumpish and hyperactive - sitting on my bed but not being able to sit still for more than a few minutes. Once she tried to lunge off my bed but was in such a panic to move she ran into the wall in the opposite direction instead, it was really worrisome for about three days. So since then for roughly 6 months a year (during flea season) she wears a flea collar.

My indoor only cat - well, he used to be indoor only until about a year ago (we let him in the backyard sometimes and he knows to use the cat door to come back in; figured it out on his own...) doesn't get anything. He's 16 and never had a flea in his life that I'm aware of, so there's no need to subject him to poison unnecessarily. A flea isn't going to kill him, poison might.

·
Registered
261 Posts
If you insist on 'good preventative medicine' I would suggest you look into Diamantic Earth. MUCH safer option than loading indoor pets with powerful insecticides...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts