Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off can someone please give me a link to the rules. I always want to check back on them but cant find them :oops:
Okay that done heres my question.

What is our policy on advetising?
The reason I asked is a new member signed up- is yet to post but their name is a website. I know you are not allowed to post links to your website in posts, but what if they advertise their store? I looked at their website and they have a store somewhere, and abviously they will want business. I was wondering the policy on that?
Personally I dont like it, I know people need to make things a go for themselves, but I dont see why they should advertise on here for free when they dont really care about here.

This person hasnt posted yet, but I wanted to know anyway.

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
A member's website can be listed in their signature only, if it's an advertisement. If he or she has signed up, you can send him a poem which refers him to the rule on spam. What nerve! Of course, Brooke kept trying to get away with that, and I have written to quite a few people about spam. They have been very nice about it. Brooke is the only one who kept changing it, but it was still a promotion for her cat forum! We finally got through to her. She's a nice girl, but.....

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I added a post, Zalensia. Would you PM the new member and tell her specifically? She'll have to change her name. She could just drop the "dot com," I guess. How sneaky!

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NaturalCat.com said:
Here's another for your list: For all your NATURAL pet care products
naturalcat.com
Do we edit out the advertising or not? In a way he is only answering to addfrans post, asking about cat websites it just happens to be his website.

I'm gonna do a draft pm here- I want to make sure it is okay, ive been known to be somewhat blunt in r/l so I dont wonna make this person mad lol.

Edit, I guess just glancing at the rules it could come under this?

j. Spam is not tolerated here under any circumstance. This includes posting a URL to your services, affiliate links, or a competing web site. It also includes sending spam via private messages. Users posting spam will be warned and their post removed or edited.
(For his reply to addfran

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay here goes-

Hi there, first off I want to welcome you to the forums.

I just wanted to mention a couple of points to you for your information.

*It is against the forum rules to post links to your website in post bodies. As great as your website is, and the buisiness im afraid this rule applies to us all. From the measly of us with a puny little website (Such as myself) to the business man/woman. It is however fine for you to put a link to your website in your siganiture.
If you havent already glanced at the rules it would be wise to do so, they can be found here- http://www.catforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=508

*The other point I wanted to mention was your name. Again it is advertising. It wouldnt be a problem if you was just NaturalCat, but the .com needs to go. What ever name you decide you would like can you please let me know within the next 3-5 days.

I know this seems harsh, but we have people who pay to advertise on this site, so we need to find an equal middle ground somewhere.

We hope to see you around the forums alot, you obviously have a vast amount of knowledge which im sure a lot of people can learn from, and what you may even learn from us!

Thanks.

How bad is it? I just want to be sure before I send it. It seems just right to the point, but that is me by nature im afraid, and ive been told that, so feel free to pretty it up lol

·
Premium Member
28,610 Posts
I think it's fine. They should have edited their own posts. I usually suggest it, with the understanding that you will edit it after a reasonable length of time. Those people with the dot com names will have to change their names. That's blatant spam. They must think we're stupid not to notice! --or they didn't read the rules.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts