Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have two 7 month old kittens, Mani (gray) and Melody (calico). Melody had blood on her stool a week ago, and was straining to use the bathroom. On Wednesday she threw up some bile so I took her to the emergency vet. She has roundworm, hookworm and Coccidia. She did 3 days of panacur (started Thursday and finished Saturday), is doing 5 days of Albon (will finish Tuesday), 15 days of proviable capsules for her stool and 4 days of proviable paste (will be finished tomorrow).
Took Mani on Friday to the emergency vet, found roundworm eggs in his stool but they’re going to treat him for worms and Coccidia, so he’s doing panacur (finished today) and Albon (will finish Wednesday).

I got them an appointment on October 14 at a regular vet to get checked out. I’m not sure exactly the life cycle for the parasites but was told to wait a few weeks to check cuz the medicine only kills the live worms, not the larvae. Not sure for Coccidia. Nervous to have to repeat the treatment cuz they haven’t been the easiest about it. It’s hard doing the syringes cuz they stick and sometimes explode when we give the meds. Any tips for making it easier? And what is the likelihood we got the worms the first try? We’re confident they got most of the meds they needed in their doses. But we know we may have to do it again.

Cat Felidae Flooring Road surface Carnivore

·
Registered
564 Posts
The best way to get these questions answered is to ask your vet. Can you call them and ask your questions there? Especially the ones about the syringes. I don't know what you mean by "they stick and sometimes explode"!? It sounds as if you may need personal hands-on help with this, so go to the vet and have them demonstrate how to do it. It takes a lot of practice to get it right, so don't feel bad asking for more help from them.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ugh, worms! And Oooph, giving kitties medicine!! I feel for you. I agree with what Mosi said. Vets (and Docs) often send us home with only part of the story. S/he may have a lot more helpful info for you if you call them and ask.

·
Registered
108 Posts
And they are adorable! If we could only battle parasites with adorableness you would be in good shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts