Cat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma that involves our two older cats. I am 19 years old and in school to become a nurse. I live at home for now, but I am planning on moving out very soon. We currently live in an area that could be defined as 'out in the country'. There are neighboors around us on both sides and down the street, but we all have large lawns and plenty of space.

Our cats, named Jackie and Sugar have always been free-roaming cats. They hang out on our deck mainly. Jackie is 10 and was born on our property and Sugar is 17(+) and was brought here when she was younger. The problem is that my parents are getting a divorce and since neither of them can afford to keep the house on their own, the house is to be sold. I will be moving into a small condo near the city. My mother will be getting an apartment in the city and my dad is still deciding. I don't know where the cats are going to go. It's unlikely that they will be able to stay with one of us. If we somehow find another home for them, I don't know how they will handle it or if they'll try to leave or even come back to the house. My mother wants to put Sugar down since she thinks it's cruel to change everything around on her at her age or to try and turn her into a housecat at this point. Neither of them is very fond of being in the house any way. I don't know what to do. Any advice? We live in Winston-Salem, NC.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I took in 2 seniors back in September. One(Clyde) didn't take the move well at all. He was 10 years old. I took him to the vet shortly after because he had a horrible hairloss which was thought to be caused by stress, but the vet said it was fleas. No one wants an animal with fleas! So we treated the fleas(on 4 cats altogether and 1 dog, 2 ferrets.. very expensive). Anyway, the hairloss grew very, very slowly over several months. It never did grow all the way back. Anyway, Clyde was PTS a month ago because he went paralysed and then was very quickly dieing.

He came with another senior though, Cheyenne. She's 13 years old and a sweetheart. She IS up for adoption since I got her, but I have still been unable to place her.

Both cats didn't get along with new pets. Cheyenne could get along with kittens, but Clyde hated everything. They were quite scared at first, but came out of the move and new home quickly.

Before you even consider placing your seniors, PLEASE take them to a vet for a health check so that way the new home won't have to deal with a sudden death. I find it quite cruel if you place(or put to sleep) your eldest cat JUST because of it's age. No one will adopt her. Someone(you, your mom or your dad) must take her with you. It's not really fair to end a life because you just don't want to take her with you.

It's not really that hard to find an apartment that allows animals. I'd know, I'm moving this week and I had PLENTY of choices.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts