Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am obviously new to this Forum and would appreciate your help before I lose my feline friend T. I will give you a little background. We have 3 cats. Samquance is a 8 year old Flame Point Siamese that we got from a friend back in 2014. She caught him on her farm after feeding him for a year. He is an indoor-outdoor cat (no way your keeping him in).

Boukey is our second cat (indoor only) and she has been with us for 4 years. My wife got her from the veterinary clinic where she worked. She was hit by a car at about 3 weeks old and brought to the clinic by a nice young couple that saw her get hit. She has evolved into the best cat she can be under the circumstances. Boukey is an IBD kitty that has been been through IBD bouts. We finally have her bouts with the disease leveled off to a minimum. Sam and Boukey coexist. She adores Sam. Sam not so much.

Now on to Tia Maria / T-Bone / T. We found T back in February while walking our Dogs. Well I should say Beau, my Golden Retriever, found T in a drain tile underneath a driveway in our in our neighborhood and nearley dead from emaciation, came out after Beau put his head in the ditch and T came out and rubed all over Beau. After feeding her for a few days we were able to get her home.

As you can imagine living in a drainage ditch she was not getting proper food and water. She was very sick and was a diaria night mare. I won't go into details. It would make you sick as it did my poor wife waking up in the middle of the night and finding poop everywhere (sorry...details). We took Tia to a local vet and they gave her the necessary shots and sent her home with anitbiotics etc. After 2 to 3 weeks we were concerned she was an IBD kitty as well. So we took her to the Vet that treated our Boukey for the disease. They kept her overnight, the next day they called us and asked if we were sitting down. They said: Tia Maria is a neutered male.

So now you know where the name T-Bone / T came from. I asked my wife to have him check his vision while he was there. I noticed that T was bumping into things. Well it turns out that our T is also blind. Not total blind, but blind enough that we can not move things in the house with out him walking into them.

Now the problem. Our cats (Sam in particular) hate him. They don't understand his blindness and sense that something is just not right and have tried to ignore him. T is not having any of that. T folllows them arround and tries to force play. Sam and Boukey construe that as aggression. It has gotten nasty at times as a result of their overreaction. T has to be supervised continuously and most of the time looked into our bedroom that leads to an outdoor screen porch (that our cat used to love).

I am writing this in hope that there is a solution. My wife has several people lined up that want to possibly adopt T. She and I agree that it is not fair to him to be locked up all the time and Sam and Boukey not being able to use the bedroom and screen porch they once adored. My wife and I take T in the back yard every day and let him be a cat. He has actually turned into more of a Dog. As a result of being blind he has learned to take commands to keep himself from running into trees and other obstacles. He has evloved into a sweet lovable fun cat. His handicap has made him the most unique cat I have ever known.

I am not sure if there are any answers to this but hope someone can help. I told my wife to call Jackson but she refuses. I love this little Cat and don't want to lose him. But logic tells me I may have to do whats right for him and our family. If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it. I feel like this cat was brought to us and now I may have to let him go.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm sorry you're going through this. I have a cat who suddenly went blind a few months ago. I know you love him, but he and your other cats would all be much happier I'm sure if he got a new good home. If he stayed with you, it would be a constant battle to keep all of them happy, and that's too much stress for them and for your family. Just my opinion, but maybe you know the answer already and just wanted some assurance. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Sorry your little one is vision challenged. He seems to be a special sweetheart. I think he would just love to be king of his own castle. I know you will do what’s in his best interest. Glad that Beau found him and you took care of him to this point in his long life.

All the best

1 - 3 of 3 Posts