Cat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As some of y'all know, I have three cats. Two males, one female. They are outdoor cats, because my parents won't allow them inside. The problem is, my dad won't allow them to be spayed and neutered. I don't quite understand why, so I won't go into why he won't let me get them fixed. They are 18 months old now, so I assume that one of the males just recently matured, and is now trying to mate with my female. She is in heat, and both males are mating with her. She hates it. She isn't in position to mate when they mount her. She is now growling at them, hissing, and swatting. Yesterday, both males were mounting her. Every time they see her, they try to mate. They has never done this before. I don't know what to do.

I have three options:

1. Find her a good home.
2. Build her a nice good sized pen to keep her safe when she's in heat.
3. Spay her even though my dad says no.

What should I do??? Does anyone have any suggestions? I've heard where intact males may still mate with a spayed female. What is the likelihood of this happening?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
Frances is a 5 year old maine coone cat.
137 Posts
mabye you could bring her to a friend for a while or yeah just build her a mini cage for her whike in heat.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I would find somewhere for her to stay temporarily, but she'll just come back into heat again and again. My best option may be build her a pen to stay in when she's in heat. My only problem with that is females can be in heat for two weeks at a time, one week being average. I don't want her penned up that long. Thanks again.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I completely understand your situation.
Is there anyone else in your family on your side who would be able to help convince him? Or is it financial- could you maybe look into a low-cost clinic or even save up some of your money?
Sorry this is happening. I completely understand how difficult this is.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I'm glad that someone understands.

My dad is a bit stubborn. No one could convince him of anything. It's not financial, but he wouldn't pay for it. I would pay for it to be done. There not any low-cost spay and neuter clinics in the area. I called the our local vet's office, the lady said that is would cost about 145-150.

My mom said that I could spay her, because I'm the one paying for it. She is my cat.

Thank you both for replying.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have concluded that they actually haven't successfully mated with her, because my female (Marie) isn't in position to mate. They struggle to get her in position, but can't do it, which is why they keep mounting her. Therefore she isn't pregnant.

I'm going to talk to my dad about it. Fingers crossed.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hello
I would definitely get her spayed anyway you can. You have been lucky so far that she isn’t pregnant. Keep them separated until you get it done. Even if it’s your own money. Your doing the right thing.

Reactions: Raq

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello
I would definitely get her spayed anyway you can. You have been lucky so far that she isn’t pregnant. Keep them separated until you get it done. Even if it’s your own money. Your doing the right thing.
Thank you for replying. Spaying her is definitely the right thing for her.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I talked to him a few minutes ago, he is pretty against it, but he said that he'll think about it. Does spay surgery hurt afterwards?

·
Registered
71 Posts
That’s good news! I think that most cats are given painkillers to reduce or eliminate the pain, so it shouldn’t hurt them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts