Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello feline lovers,
I really hope you can help me and my Miss Molly :( its a long story but I will try to keep it brief.

Before Christmas she got attacked on two separate occasions by a nasty nasty black cat in the neighbourhood. She paid a lot of attention to the scratch on her belly and consequently ended up with a huge bald patch and some very angry red marks.

Within days she came up in red sores under each arm, backs of both legs on her side flanks and on the back of her neck. Some worse than others.

The vet prescribed antibiotics and checked for ringworm. He said no ringworm present and the antibiotics did nothing. She was also not wanting to leave the house and I believe was very sad that she was getting picked on. We have another cat (her brother) who has no issues with evil black cat, the 4 cats that live around us have no problems either he just picks on Molly.

So the vet suggested a steriod injection, he said it looks like an allergy which is v hard to diagnose. We went back a week later, all sore spots seemed to be improving, but then a new one came up on the back of her neck. :(

The vet said he thinks allergy, I said I think not. Never had any issues with anything before black cat attack and now these nasty sore spots. He prescribed clomicalm for 30 days. Well there was another fight last Monday. I have kept her in all week but noticed sore spot on her neck getting REALLY bad and thought I was making her more miserable keeping her in :( let her out yesterday and there was another show down :( so poor Molly is under house arrest again. Have just looked at her neck and it looks horrid and terrible sore. Have just ordered some feliway to see if that might help. Clomicalm has made no difference at all, steriod injection is now wearing off (27days) and I wonder if that's why the sore is getting worse? Have not seen any new ones else where.

Am at my wits end and just feel so sorry for her. She is a lovely social cat and is well known and loved by all our neighbours, it's so sad to keep her in.

So I have two pleas for advice and help. Firstly what do I do about evil black bully cat (he has no collar so can't find owners / tried squirting him with water but he is v aggressive and still comes back) and please what do you think is causing these sore spots? The vet wants to try a battery of allergy tests and food substitutions but my heart really isn't in it and I just don't think that's the problem. But maybe I am wrong.

I have taken pictures of her belly and her neck so u can see what the wounds are like. Maybe you will recognise them and could reccommend a treatment? We are willing to try anything.

Thanks for reading.
Lucy and Molly x

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and just so it not all horrid pictures here is one of her helping me with some work ...and another with her having cuddles with her brother -who incidentally after 18months of happiness is now fighting more and more with :(

Attachments

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Maybe try to trap him and take him to Animal Control?

I seriously would keep your cat in. She needs to heal & letting her back out to get picked on isn't helping. I don't have any other suggestions other than to let your vet know that you don't think it's healing. Maybe a different antibiotic?

·
Registered
8,965 Posts
I agree, I would keep her in until the stray that attacks her is dealt with. I would also try a second opinion from a different vet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
we are on to our second vet as the first one was virtually useless :(

The evil black cat isn't a stray he just doesn't wear a collar, he is a huge beautiful black beast (very shiny coat etc) wondering if he hasn't been neutered and thats why he picks on her?

I am certainly keeping her in, thinking she may have to be a house cat now as we cant get rid of evil black cat :(

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you don't think he's a feral, ask your neighbors & see if anyone knows who he belongs to. If you find his owners, complain to them about his behaviour (not that it will help but you never know) & ask if he's neutered.

Molly's complaining about not going out may drive you nuts for awhile, but hopefully she will get used to staying in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts