Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi can anyone give me any advice/answers please :) .

I have 2 female cats (mother and daughter aged 3 and 2) who have always got on well.
I discovered they had fleas so bought flea collars and yesterday the council came to deflea the house.
The youngest one has been hiding for about 20 hours and has started to hiss at her mum for no apparent reason. :?

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Welcome, first, flea-collars only keep fleas away from the cat's neck, no where else. I also dislike flea-collars because they put a concentrated poison (and in the case of Hartz products, which can be DEADLY) too close to the main systems of a cat; respiratory, circulatory and nervous systems. I prefer to rely on the vet-approved spot-on products; Advantage, Revolution, Frontline and Advocate.
The reason why all the hissing is going on is there was something *scary* happening in the home and then *nothing* smelled the same. Cats rely an awful lot on their sense of smell and if a familiar object smells *too* strange, they won't "recognize" it until the thing returns to the 'normal' odor the cat is used to.
Give it time. There are other tips you can do, but I'll leave those for someone else to outline because I don't have enough time, or you could do a search about how to do cat-introductions here among the forums.
Best of luck,
heidi =^..^=

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Thanks for the advice...much appreciated. I have removed the flea collar as I read somewhere else they can be dangerous. I have ordered some frontline instead.

Hopefully things will return to normal soon as the cats have always got on really well and the mother looks startled when the other one hisses at her.

·
Registered
12,679 Posts
Hi, just got back from having an early dinner with the Hubby.
You can help speed things along by remaining calm and not trying to force things to return to normal immediately. You could keep them seperated for a little bit. Maybe put a dot of vanilla on the back of each of their necks. ...now, I am not *certain* how this works...either by making each cat smell the same and/or overpowering the cat's sense of smell so they can't really smell any minute differences. You could also rub two small hand towels over each cat, back/forth and back/forth to exchange scent and give each cat a cat-scented-towel that carries both their scents from the rubbing and it should help them sort of equalize their senses. Finally, you can encourage calm and relaxed interaction with you between the two of them; nice and slow petting and maybe some treats with some slow toy control back and forth between the cats...just to get them in sight of each other and Good Things are happening when they are near you and can see each other.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts