Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

It's time for Lumen's annual checkup - and I don't know how to get her to the vet.

I had to throw away the top-entrance cardboard carrier she came from the shelter in - that one was easy, drop her in and close the carrier right away. However, the one I have for her now has a zipper closure. It isn't as easy to close rapidly like the cardboard one was. It's front-entrance AND top entrance.

Any ideas how to get her in? She's ALL LEGS and claws when I bring her to the carrier. I've had it out for two weeks to get her used to it, but she won't go in on her own. I've tried the towel method, hasn't worked yet.

The vet appt is in eight hours! Yikes!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Put it in the bathroom so when it comes time to put her in there, you will be able to close the door and will limit where she can run.

Have you tried throwing treats in there to see if she will play"get the treat" and then later you can just push the door closed after her?

By the towel method, do you mean wrapping her up in a towel burrito-style first?
I was lucky, the last time Lily was sleeping in the hallway near the bathroom; I was able to just scoop her up and stuff her in before she was fully awake. (I have the Sherpa carriers & I used the front entrance). I was a little worried about the zip-up enclosure but it was OK. But I did play with the cats around the carriers for a few days before, wiggling my finger at the back ad sides of it (or you could use a toy) for them to "get" if they went inside.

I have heard some people have luck turning it on its side and dropping them in.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, I would first close the top entrance and put the carrier on its end. Wrap her in a small towel loosely and plop her in with the carrier on its end and then zip it up. You can pull the towel out thru the top when she's in and settled, or just leave it in there to cuddle.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had the same problem with my Nigel, so what I started to do is I took the door off of the carrier and left it out at all times...placing toys and treats in there. He would go in there, lay down...nap...relax. This built a positive association with the carrier. Now, when it's time for the vet, I put the door on, toss a treat in there and then close the door behind him. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm, okay these are fabulous ideas. Will keep you all posted.. if I have all my fingers and arms intact by the end of it. Yes, I meant the burrito method, LOL :) I think I have to roll her up tighter! I'm worried about how she'll be - I'm at work all day, she's probably asleep.. she might be wound up by the time I get home. Time will tell!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All - a followup: My boyfriend is a superhero and wrangled the cat/wildebeest into the carrier, tipped-up as recommended. He refused to do the burrito-method, as I suggested (warned) .. and got pretty cut up. Sigh. But he did it, and he's amazing. We also made sure to do this in the bathroom. Great advice! Next time, if I'm alone, I'll DEFINITELY do the burrito-method.

And the best part? Both Tequila and Lumen are 100% healthy. Great vet visits. THANKS ALL!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
All - a followup: My boyfriend is a superhero and wrangled the cat/wildebeest into the carrier, tipped-up as recommended. He refused to do the burrito-method, as I suggested (warned) .. and got pretty cut up. Sigh. But he did it, and he's amazing. We also made sure to do this in the bathroom. Great advice! Next time, if I'm alone, I'll DEFINITELY do the burrito-method.

And the best part? Both Tequila and Lumen are 100% healthy. Great vet visits. THANKS ALL!!!
I'm happy to hear that all went well at the vet!

And remember, if you keep the carrier out (without the door) for their enjoyment at all times, it will be much easier getting them into it next time. :smile:

·
Registered
336 Posts
And remember, if you keep the carrier out (without the door) for their enjoyment at all times, it will be much easier getting them into it next time. :smile:
I agree, that should make a difference.

None of mine are scared of carriers and are frequent travellers, but I keep all the carriers stacked up in the spare room with cozy blankets inside. Cats are always found sleeping in them, I don't take the doors off just leave them open.

·
Registered
13 Posts
After reading this I am proud of my choice

When we got Bailey at just a few days old I got a carrier because she had to go everywhere with me. She loves her carrier. If she goes missing I know to look in there and she will be cuddled up with her blanky. She also loves to ride. Hope this dosnt change.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts