Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local animal shelter today and came across a pair of orange tabby kittens... they are probably siblings.

anyhow, i'm going to adopt one of them (the other one had been adopted already but is still sitting in the cage) and i noticed that both of them had dirty ears and eyes. like there's this crust on their eyes and it seems that the ears have the same type of substance.

i talked with the worker there, not a vet, and he said that there's a good chance it can be significantly ill and is not worth adopting. the problem is i really fell for their playfulness...

should i pass on these kittens? will the vet at the animal shelter try to treat these problems effectively before giving them to me if i do adopt them?

here's the pic i took. they both appear to have the same symptoms.

http://www.jinduy.net/1.jpg

i will be a first time big pet owner (unless you count birds and fish)

should I just take the safe route and take this other orange kitten from my local humane society? (it's a bit farther from me but I found one online @ petfinder)

thanks for the help

·
Registered
209 Posts
Awww, those kitties are PRECIOUS! I'd talk to one of the vets at the shelter, and don't let their appearance fool you. Perhaps it's something viral/bacterial that can be treated.

Let us know how it goes...I'd say go for it, as long as the vet recommends it.

Lisa :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Dirty ears are a sign of ear mites, easily treated. Almost all kittens have it. The eyes could be a cold or conjunctvitis(sp?) also can be treated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes, when I adopted Ripley at 8 weeks old from the shelter, she had brown crusties around her nasal openings, ear mites, and eye gunk too. She had an upper respiratory infection. She and I headed straight for the vet on our way home to get antibiotics, and ointment for the conjunctivities...I probably only paid about $25.

I would absolutely adopt the kitten...with good medical care, a high quality diet, and lots of playtime and TLC, the kitten will bounce back to complete health with amazing speed. There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with this kitten that a good week couldn't fix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts