Cat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 7 month cat and dealing with cat litter all over the house! Any tips!! We purchased the Catit Jumbo Hooded Cat Pan from Chewy and we have trays / rugs under it. But we are still finding litter everywhere in the house. I have tried a couple of different litters. Just need some advice from experienced cat owners. Is clumping litter the problem? Should we try the cardboard litter? Should we have his nails clipped? Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
26,880 Posts
I think a lot of us here would LOVE to learn the secret to spreading less litter around the house. There's a litter a friend of mine uses called Abound which is finer than the usual litter and produces very little dust. Unfortunately, it's also 3x more expensive than what I use. I have 3 end-to-end plush bathroom rugs which they have to walk on when leaving the litter box.

Reactions: miscellaneous

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have found that the only times I have this problem is if my cat has very furry paws. If that is the case with yours, you can take him once a month or so to a groomer and have the hairs between the pads on the bottom of his feet trimmed down. Or, if your cat will allow you to do it, you can do it yourself. they don't need to be shaved off, just cut off so that they do not protrude past the pads of the feet.

If your cat doesn't have furry paws, then it might be the litter and you could try one that says it is "low (or no) tracking".

·
Registered
366 Posts
We've had the litter-all-over-the-house problem mostly resolved with Dr Elsey's Classic (not the Premium) Unscented Clumping Litter, with a disposable underpad under the front half because Somebody has a problem with aim, but it also contains some of the escaped litter. They do sell litter mats to put under the boxes but I don't know how well they work because I'm way too lazy to clean one.

Another way to decrease it is to get a litterbox that has a low opening to easily get in and out to prevent them having to leap out of it taking litter with them. If your cat also has an aim issue, you could get a high-sided litter box and put a brick by the opening for easy access.

I'm not a fan of hooded boxes and neither are my girls. Some cats feel very vulnerable when doing their business and try to leave as quickly as possible taking half the litter with them. An open box in a low-traffic area with plenty of room to watch for predators and easily escape may be something to try.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What I have, and it works very well for me and my cat, is actually a medium-large storage bin for a litter box. The sides are high, which means I can put in a good 4 to 6 inches of litter, while still having good sides on the box and there's a lot of room in there, which my cat likes a lot.

But the real key is that the box is transparent, so the high sides don't bother him - he can see out so he knows nothing is coming. I know it might help to have low sides to the box - I have not ever done that. but to me it seems as though having high sides is better, because none of the litter can ever be kicked out of the box.

I think that most of the litter that gets tracked around by cats comes from what it kicked out onto the floor, rather than on the cat's paws. I have had zero tracking of litter since I started using the transparent bin for the box because the sides are too high for any litter to escape the box.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts