Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so here's the scoop. I adopted Mistletoe in December from a shelter. I had been told that Mistletoe had had ringworm several months ago. Her coat was beautiful when I adopted her. In fact when I brought her to the derm office the first week for her ears, they didn't do a fungal culture because her coat looked so great. A few weeks later and what do I have but a huge ringworm lesion. And my cat only had two teeny tiny circular lesions on her ears. soooo she was put on griseofulvin for 72 days.

About a month after the griseofulvin, I thought that I had seen a new lesion on her hindlegs so I made an apt with the dermatologist again. (the dermatologist didn't treat the ringworm the first time, a local vet had treated it for me) He basically laughed at me because we couldn't find a lesion and told me I was a worry wart vet student. But he took a fungal culture for me using the toothbrush technique. Well the fungal culture came back negative. He called me 1.5 weeks ago.

But the problem is that on her ear, she has a rectangular lesion that has the characteristics of her true ringworm lesions that she had before except that it's not circular. Now I've adopted a new kitten and I'm scared of spreading ringworm to her. I also don't want to drive 45 minutes to the dermatologist for him to laugh at me again. I'm going to have him as a professor next semester so the least embarassment the best.

So basically I'm looking for advice on whether I should just not worry about this possible lesion, find another local vet(I didn't like the original one and the derm visits are free for me as a vet student.) or go back and risk possible embarrassment with the dermatologist. Ack!

I forgot to add that the kitten is currently separated from my cat for slow intros.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
I think you should take your cat to another vet. When my cats had ringworm, I got them cream and it took a long time to go away but it eventually did. Good luck :wink:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I decided that I'm going to call the dermatologist and see if I can get an appointment before Tuesday. unfortunately, I start my summer job next Wednesday. and if they can't see her then I'll either wait til I start my summer job since it's at a veterinary hospital or make an appointment somewhere else.

the griseofulvin is quite a potent drug so it *should* have helped her get rid of the ringworm. Perhaps we'll be living with it until she can rid it on her own since they often do eventually. But then I have to worry about the kitten perpetuating it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just a bit of curiosity here.... to treat ringworm in a cat can you use the same stuff a human would use, like antifungal cream? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I think i read somewhere that animals can have most over the counter medicine (except Tylenol).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
You *can* use the over-the-counter antifungals like Micatin on cats -- but only on lesions around the ears and face, not close to the eyes. Otherwise they'll lick it off. Still, it takes several weeks to heal.

A lot of cats just have one or two spots on the ears and this is great for that. If it spreads, though, oral meds are needed.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts