Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there -

We have a 2 year old male neutered cat who, up until yesterday, was the most mellow cat I've ever known. I had never heard him hiss or growl in the year we've had him. We got him at the SPCA where he was super friendly with other cats. He's even good with dogs.

I've had such a good experience with him that I decided, rather spontaneously, to get him a little sister. She's a spayed female, about 16 weeks old. Just like him, she's affectionate and relaxed.

Well, my male cat's nose is totally out of joint- way beyond what I expected. His personality has taken a 180 in a single day. He's hissed fairly continuously at the kitten, batted her and when my husband tried to get in the middle to separate them once when he was getting a little rough, the cat hissed and growled at him. It's like we don't even know this cat & I am missing my mellow guy.

Now I'm having pretty major anxiety that this introduction will permanently change my older cat's personality from lovable, mellow cat to hissy grumpy cat who doesn't like to be touched. Any advice? I'm keeping them separated for now. I'm very worried that I've made a big mistake.

Help!
Jen :(

·
Registered
99 Posts
it's perfectly normal. my older cat did the same thing. non-stop growling and hissing and batting. I got the kitten July 4th weekend. now she doesn't hiss at him or growl. she does bat every once in a while but it doesn't look like she's trying to hurt him, just making sure he knows she's the boss. they chase each other around the apt (which I think is playing) and now she's back to her loving self whenever she's near me.

I wouldn't worry about his behavior. just make sure to do the proper introduction method where you separate them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your input. It's helping to relax me about this! I"m probably more nervous than the cat, which is ridiculous - I just had no intention of upsetting my cat with the kitten. In fact, I meant to do the opposite.

This is my introduction method - could you tell me if it sounds reasonable? I have them separated with a sliding french glass door. They can see each other and the little one really wants to play, so she slides her foot underneath. The older one "plays" back, but I'm not sure if he's playing or being a bit aggressive. He seems to want to play, but then he seems very jumpy about it at the same time.

I've let the older cat take forays into the family room with the kitten because he seems really interested. They will touch noses and sit near each other and then BAM my older cat will hiss and get agitated. Now I'm limiting their together time to about 5 minutes a time and I separate them before anything happens. I am giving lots of treats to my older cat when he's relaxed. I'm petting him lots, but he seems to be annoyed by it which is unusual.

I have them sleeping in completely separate rooms. My cat is in the master bedroom with husband, the kitty is in with me in the guest bedroom. I'd prefer to leave the kitty and join said cat and husband, but kitty cries and cries if she's left alone at night.

Have I gone too far too fast based on my mistaken assumption that my older cat was such a friendly, mellow cat? Should I make it so they can't see each other?

Thanks,
Jen

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I think you are doing great. This sounds perfectly normal to me.
We just introduced a kitten into the house with our 4 year old female cat...we are on 3 1/2 weeks now.

It will simmer down after about 1-2 weeks. Now they play together and even have their own wrestling matches. Franny is fine with Addison (kitten) unless of course the kitten tries to touch her toy squirrel (which is a whole other post under Meet My Kitty...).

Franny also hissed and growled at us if we got in the middle, so we just let them work it out...and it's going really well.

Try not to worry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for both your feedback. I am so glad to hear from other people who have gone through this experience & everything turned out alright.

They are both currently sleeping in diff rooms at the moment. Grendel (the older cat) warmed up enough to give me a quick nose rub this afternoon, but he's still highly P.O.ed about the kitten!

One more thing - Kitty (no name yet, but she's brownish black and looks exactly like a bat) has a runny nose and a few sneezes. The vet said this cold should pass by itself. How long do I wait before I should see improvement? Any idea? Also, kitty is sleeping like a zombie for 5 hours now. Is this normal for a kitten? (I've never had a baby cat before).

Thanks for the feedback!

Jen

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm currently going through the same problem. My cat wasn't neautered before he hit maturity - so he is WAY more agressive than any neautered cat should be. He ignores the baby for the most part - and has taken to sleeping down stairs in the laundry room... *sigh* When he DOES see the little boy - he hisses and meows angrily. =/ He's still the same old cat though. He hasn't tried to kill him yet (or even scratch him!) - which is a plus - I'm sure he'll come around.

Believe me - if my old tom cat can be nice to the baby - so can yours. ^_^

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More worried about resident cat (intro to kitten)

Hi again - my older cat, as of this morning, is not responding in his usual way to food and almost threw up when I was petting him. Is this a stress response? He seems sick. Any advice appreciated.

Jen

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
If he seems sick do not delay and take him to the vet - you don't want to risk him getting worse
Keep us posting and best of luck
When you will come back from the vet the animosity between your cats will be probably worse so keep them separated. Put a drop of vanilla on both of your kitties back of their necks so they will smell more alike. Then just follow the steps as recommende by doctor Jean.
I truly hope there is nothing seriously wrong with your kitty -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the response. I am really worried about Grendel. He's the love of my life (in terms of pets) and I'm just beside myself. I will call vet. He just had immunizations 3 days ago. Maybe it's a reaction.

Jen

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update - resident cat has vaccinosis!

Update - Well, no wonder my resident cat was acting so strangely. By the time I got him to the vet 6 hours ago he had a temperature of 41 Celcius. His eyes were glazed over and he was hissing/growling whenever touched. Poor guy. It's a reaction to the feline leukemia, FIV immunization I got for him, the same day I got the kitten at the vet.

Anyone else had this problem with the immunization? I am seriously reconsidering whether I should immunize - he's an indoor cat.

All introductions to kitty are off until Grendel is better. What a juggling act.

Jen

1 - 11 of 11 Posts