Cat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i hope someone has some advice for me.

About two months ago we got two kittens (not siblings, a boy and a girl, both spayed) from a shelter. Last week, very sadly the little boy passed away from FIP. The girl is about 5 months old, and spends all day by herself and we are worried that she is going to get very lonely.

we are not sure what to do here. we are worried that introducing a new kitten to the flat (a two bedroom, but small-ish flat) will cause a lot of stress for both of them. the girl was definitely the dominant cat in the house, previously, but, she isn't aggressive by nature.

to us it seems like the right thing to do for the long-term to get her a friend, but we are still uncertain.

if we do get a new kitten, should we get one as soon as possible or should we wait a bit?

Also, should we get a boy or a girl? and should he/she be younger than the current kitten?

Any comments would be hugely appreciated.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi there. I'm very sorry to hear about the loss of your boy cat.

If the girl wasn't closely bonded to him, getting her a companion sooner rather than later would probably go smoother. Cats do mourn, just like humans do, but if they weren't littermates and had been together for just a couple of months she may really welcome another companion right away and the adjustment would be easier. I'd ask whoever you get a new cat from about their policy on taking back one that just doesn't end up working out. Sometimes it doesn't and you want both of them to be happy.

Female cats tend to be more territorial and resistant to new cats in their space. Your best bet is to introduce an already neutered male around the same age, or slightly older, who doesn't have a timid personality. If they do have personalities that get along she'll probably be happier with a companion while you're at work and such.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Most cats do fine on their own. So, if YOU want another cat, then by all means adopt another. But I wouldn't adopt another solely for the sake of your current cat. If you choose to adopt, then it would be best to do so now, while your girl is still a kitten. I too would opt for a male cat, about the same age as your girl (plus or minus a month or two). Try to match their personalities...that is, select another cat with a personality that is similar to your female.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am sorry for your loss pets become family members fast. I would suggest getting a younger cat gender shouldn't matter. We had a male aggressive dog bit my husband and all ad we talked to a trainer and he said it may help calm him down if we would get him a friend. So we did we started looking for a female however ended up with a male puppy and they are the best of friends now! So gender should not matter! However I would get one that has an opposite personality so there are no territory problems try to find a more submissive one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree, cats don't mind either way it seems. If you are both away a lot it might be wise to adopt, or at least foster to see if your cat will get along with another cat. Plus adopting a kitties in general is a great idea, you'll save a life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts