Cat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the long post but I’m just upset and not sure what to do.

My cat is over a year old and pregnant. Not confirmed by the vet but is showing all symptoms. Eating a lot, enlarged pink nipples, big round belly, and also I could feel them moving in her belly.

Saturday night (yesterday) me and my partner went to the cinema and my mum left our backyard door open and the cat got outside. She was gone for about 3 hours before she came back and straight away we noticed that her belly seemed MUCH smaller.
We think she may have given birth outside? but IF she did wouldn’t she want to be with her kittens or bring them home?
Since she came back last night she doesn’t really want to go outside, so we’re thinking she gave birth to d3ad kittens and ate them? She doesn’t have the instinct and doesn’t care about them?
It’s like I’m just baffled. Don’t know what to think. Should I keep her home? take her bedding outside? (in the shed) I’m just so confused and also upset as I was really looking forward to seeing all the kittens arrive and now I don’t even know if she’s had them or where she’s had them or what ;(

·
Registered
290 Posts
This is indeed a very unfortunate situation.
It sounds as though she had the kittens outside, which is awful, but done is done.
If you have walked around near your home and have not heard any kittens crying, looked under bushes and porches, maybe asked people if they heard anything that sounded like kittens, and not found them, then you have done about all you can do. Newborns won't last long without their mother.

The thing is, if she now doesn't want to go outside, it means she is not anxious to get back to them. Why, we don't know. They may have died at birth. I don't think it's all that likely she ate them, but they could have just not survived, being outside, or a predator of some sort came and scared her off and ate them. Not any point in speculating about that now.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Two weeks after feeling/seeing the kittens move for the first time, she should give birth. If her kittens are outside, you need to find them and bring them in. If they are stillborn, she may have eaten them. It's actually a sign of love and affection when a mama cat eats her dead kittens. If she's inside right now, I suggest letting her out and see where she goes. Make sure to watch her like a hawk. Is she full of milk?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can’t see any milk. And also before she went out for those couple of hours yesterday, she wasn’t spotting or acting like she was about to give birth other than groom herself but not excessively nor was she vocal. I keep the door open but she’s just not interested in going outside bit when she does she just lies down and goes for a nap. She just sleep A LOT. Literally all she does is sleep and eat. And also I searched for them last night and today and I can’t see or hear anything.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I can’t see any milk. And also before she went out for those couple of hours yesterday, she wasn’t spotting or acting like she was about to give birth other than groom herself but not excessively nor was she vocal. I keep the door open but she’s just not interested in going outside bit when she does she just lies down and goes for a nap. She just sleep A LOT. Literally all she does is sleep and eat. And also I searched for them last night and today and I can’t see or hear anything.
It doesn't sound like she had kittens or if she did, whether they are alive or not. It could have been a false pregnancy. I think it's too late for a miscarriage. She may not go to them right away. I'd give her some time and watch her from a distance. Cats are good at hiding their kittens. If they were stillborn, there was a cause. I agree that a trip to the vet would do some good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't sound like she had kittens or if she did, whether they are alive or not. It could have been a false pregnancy. I think it's too late for a miscarriage. She may not go to them right away. I'd give her some time and watch her from a distance. Cats are good at hiding their kittens. If they were stillborn, there was a cause. I agree that a trip to the vet would do some good.
Honestly, I’m so baffled. I just hope she’s hasn’t had them yet 😢

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah. Can you feel anything in there? Be careful just in case they are still in there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. Can you feel anything in there? Be careful just in case they are still in there.
I checked her couple hours ago and I thought I did feel movements but that could also just be her insides? ;(

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yes, could have just been her insides. Is she really skinny? Or just a little bit?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, could have just been her insides. Is she really skinny? Or just a little bit?
She’s a small cat in general. I’ll be ringing the vets tomorrow to get her checked but to be honest I think it’s done now. I just checked her nipples and they seem to be back to normal?

·
Registered
731 Posts
A trip to the vet sounds like a good idea. Her nipples aren't supposed to be back to normal. Maybe it was a false pregnancy? That's my guess at this point. Tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
290 Posts
If her nipples are back to normal and there's been no milk, then I am starting to doubt she had kittens at all, because I don't think things would be normal again that fast. But, I don't know enough about this to know that. Perhaps if the kittens were stillborn, she would go back to normal. And if she did eat them, she might have a big belly from that. On the other hand, something else might be going on.
Definitely get her to the vet to find out what is going on.
And please post here and tell us what the vet said because I am curious now.

And please make an appointment to get her spayed.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I took couple of pictures of her today. Would you say she looks pregnant?
I can't say that she does or doesn't look like it.
If her nipples are back to normal and there's been no milk, then I am starting to doubt she had kittens at all, because I don't think things would be normal again that fast. But, I don't know enough about this to know that. Perhaps if the kittens were stillborn, she would go back to normal. And if she did eat them, she might have a big belly from that. On the other hand, something else might be going on.
Definitely get her to the vet to find out what is going on.
And please post here and tell us what the vet said because I am curious now.

And please make an appointment to get her spayed.
If she had kittens, her nipples would still be big and pink and full of milk. If they were stillborn her nipples would be big, pink, and full of a lot of milk. Here's a link about miscarriages in cats: Miscarriage in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost. And one about false pregnancy: False Pregnancy in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost.

Reactions: Mosi

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can't say that she does or doesn't look like it.

If she had kittens, her nipples would still be big and pink and full of milk. If they were stillborn her nipples would be big, pink, and full of a lot of milk. Here's a link about miscarriages in cats: Miscarriage in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost. And one about false pregnancy: False Pregnancy in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost.
Vet said she was Never pregnant, so I guess it’s a good thing. Also said she’s fine and will be getting spayed soon

·
Registered
731 Posts
That's wonderful! I'm so glad that she's okay! Does the vet know why she had the symptoms of a pregnant kitty?

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
I am very relieved that your girl was never pregnant ... so much better an outcome than missing or dead kittens. However, an intact female who is allowed outside is not going to remain unpregnant for long. I hope you have that spay scheduled very soon and that you can keep her safely indoors and away from toms until her appt. Good luck!

·
Registered
731 Posts
However, an intact female who is allowed outside is not going to remain unpregnant for long.
The door was accidentally left open, and the cat ran outside before anyone could do anything about it. She isn't allowed to go outside.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
The door was accidentally left open, and the cat ran outside before anyone could do anything about it. She isn't allowed to go outside.
I apologize for my mistake. Point is, however, that an intact female cat with access to a tomcat is likely to become pregnant, regardless of how that access occurred. The sooner you get her spayed, the sooner you won't risk going through this sort of angst and worry again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts