Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
can anybody help with a problem i have concerning my pensioner mothers 13 yr old cat called katie.
my mother in the last year has become a bit neurotic over cleaning out the litter tray.
the litter tray which was put out only at night and not used every night by katie has now been put away in a cupboard and now katie has to sleep outside because my mother wont clean the tray out anymore.
my mother (who i must say up untill this point has been a wonderful owner to the ex cats protection cat)
cant see she is doing anything wrong in doing in this as it is the summer.
but this problem started last winter when my mother wasnt going to let katie (who all her life has always stayed in at night) stay in,back then i had to fight tooth and nail to win the cat a reprieve and only then by having the cpl send my mother some literature on how they recommend all cats should be in at night.
now to my horror my mum is planning to buy some kind of play house type thingy from a diy store and plans to let the cat sleep in thier every night through the winter and for ever more.
i have tried to tell her this will be cruel to the old cat but im just ignored and told not to interfere.
as i have never owned a cat myself is this me over reacting or am i right in thinking this wont be good for the cats welfare.
if anybody agrees with me what can i say to make her realise this is cruel to the cat.

thanks
john

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
An 13-year old cat is the same as a 65 year old person. She is not going to be able to cope with this. What happens when her kidneys start to fail and she has to pee during the day? She'll end up being stuck in a cage the rest of her life. You mom isn't realizing the emotional cruelty of essentially abandoning this cat after caring for her all her life. If she doesn't want the cat, with all the good and bad an indifferent that comes with a cat, she should find her another home.

Good luck!
Dr. Jean

·
Premium Member
28,623 Posts
It's possible that your mother is suffering from health problems. Sometimes pride stands in the way. If she loves the cat, would it help to buy a Littermaid or Robot? That would make the job easier, and less odor in the house. They are a real blessing.

That cat should not be out in the cold, John. I totally agree. But I'm wondering what brought about this change in your mother. If my suggestion doesn't work, could you take the cat? Does Mom still care about it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts