Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I have a cat named Jimi who is a 4 year old himalayan and a cat named Sooty who is a 1 year old mixed breed. Both of them are lovely and healthy animals.
I need some advice from anyone willing to offer it: I moved to England from California a year ago. My cat, Jimi (the himalayan), has gone through the PETS scheme/DEFRA requirements and is deemed fit to fly at this point. I want to either have him shipped or pick him up in California ASAP but have a few worries:

-I've been told by someone that himalayans can't fly because of their short nasal passages. Is this true?
Has anyone ever flown their himalayan or do you know anyone who has? If so, what was the outcome? Also is it just a matter of opinion that himalayans shouldn't fly?

-As to whether or not I should pick Jimi up and carry him as carry on with me or have him shipped with British Airways or some other airline: would anyone here have any experience with this? Which method would you reccommend? If shipping is advised, what airline would you advise me on?

Anyones experience, opinons are greatly appreciated. Please reply as soon as you can as it's most appreciated. Thanks ever so much!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I've never transported cats by air so I can't give any advice regarding that part.

But, I do know that quite many Swedish breeders import Persians from the US and the cats are flown over so Persians can fly (even though they don't have wings :wink: ).

·
Registered
138 Posts
Maybe you could find the phone number of Himilayan breeder and ask for their advice.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Cats flying

I can't give advice on the himilayans, but i can give advice on the flying of cats.

My mother has two domestic short haired cats, that we got while we lived in Hawaii (my dad was in the Air Force). We now live in Arkansas, and they had to make that flight. Since it was from Hawaii to the Continental US, there was no quarentine (to Hawaii would've been a 6 month quarintine, that's why we got the cats while we lived there).

I would recomend carrying him to the Airport, and sending them to the pet area. We did that with our two and they were okay. Make sure the kennel is big enough (not one of those small single animal ones) and they have some water. Sometimes really nervous animals can be given a sedative so they relax more. My 2 cats did fine, without them though. They meowed a lot when we picked them up, but they were fine afterwards.

I would say some shipping is bad, there's more things that can go wrong in that, then if you were picking up the animals from the same plane you were on. I believe we flew on Southwestern Airlines. It was an 8 hour flight.

Maybe someone else has shipped? I dunno, that's my experiance with it. (i know your flight would be much longer.)

Amanda

1 - 4 of 4 Posts