Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here goes.........

A few years back, I had a stray cat show up at my door on a cold early winter day. Long story short, I let her in to warm up gave her some food and water and she disappeared down into my basement. The next morning I went to check on her and there she was nursing a litter of kittens. THANKS!! I wound up finding homes for all of them but one. An extremely friendly black kitty. We bonded very quick, and he was with me for about 3 years. From a very early age, he had a very strong will to get outside, I did everything I could think of to contain him indoors, but he kept bolting past me when I would let the dogs out, etc. He had all kinds of cat toys, a huge cat condo, top notch diet, yet he still had a powerful urge to be an outdoor cat. I wasn't having that.

About 8 months ago, he hid under the coffee table and when I opened the door he was gone like a bolt of lightning. Not a thing I could do about it. The stress I went through when he did not return made me literally sick to my stomach.

Now I have rescued a new kitty, and guess what? She is doing the exact same things my last cat started to do at an early age. Always trying to run out any open door as soon as it opens. She was a feral, but a more naturally friendly, affectionate, well adjusted kitty she could not be. So what can I do? I cannot bear to think she may bolt the same as my last cat did, ANY SUGGESTIONS?? She loves it here, but we all know what curiosity did to the cat!!

·
Premium Member
781 Posts
spaying or neutering might help(if not done they will do anything to get out) screen or storm doors to give that two stage process of going in or out,, I had a door dasher, I would open the door just a bit and then close it, would hear the bump on the other side of the door and then carefully enter..

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I dunno how or if it's at all possible for you. I have 3 exits out of my house. At all of them, there's a second door. For example, I got an enclosed porch for the front door, my dad built an enclosed porch for the back door, and I have a second door to the garage entrance area. If any of my cats bolt for the door, the 2nd set should give me enough time to catch them.

For some ppl, I kno they use bags to block the door when they enter. Perhaps you can obtain a crate/dog kennel or designate a cat room where you can put the cat temporarily when you let the dogs out.

·
Registered
53 Posts
We usually kind of kick the bottom of the door as we open it, and make a little hissing sound. They'll back up a bit (most times) and we dash in. Luckly most of ours hate the outside.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts