Cat Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Juliette was spayed today... everything went well, we gave her a small meal of canned food when we got home and she ate it all with great appetite. Poor baby has been starving for almost 24 hours... The vet put a collar on her since she was licking her stitches and he told us to keep it on at all times except when feeding. We took it off when she was eating and wanted to leave it off at first since she looked so miserable in it, bumping into things and trying to get out of it, but she started to lick her sutures again and again, so we put it on. The question is: is any kind of licking an absolute no-no and should we really keep the collar on for 10 days (like they told us at the clinic)? Or should we just watch her to make sure she doesn't pull on the stitches during licking? Although it is hard to tell, all we seen is that she's doing something to the area of the wound... It breaks my heart to see how she is struggling with the stupid thing on her head... advice?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, they gave us medication for pain, which we are supposed to give her for 5 days. I've read that not all cats need it though, is this true? Should I watch how she's doing and then decide, or just give it to be on a safe side?

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
I think with the pain meds, you don't have to keep giving it, you can see how she's doing.

When Gigi was supposed to wear a cone, I just couldn't do it. I took it off almost as soon as we got home, but I watched her very closely to make sure she wasn't licking at her injury site.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
She licks it quite agressively, I am worried that she will pull the stitches out :( she does it very often too, so I can't stop her every 2 minutes... I will see if I can get clothing for cats instead instead of the collar

·
Super Moderator
26,687 Posts
We do have members here who do that. Do you have a onesie or something you could cut down just to cover that area?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't, but I'll see if I can get something suitable at the pet store. I cant wait to get the collar off of her, she is having a miserable time :( Thanks a lot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.