Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my 4 months old kitten has just got spayed and her hernia fixed last week. She's got a 2 inch incision at the belly instead of the sides.

It's been 6 days since the operation. She's eating well ever since she got home (no sign of lameness or pain or lost of appetite whatsoever), and is very active. That is exactly the problem. The vet said that it's best to let the cat rest because it's an abdominal surgery, but she's a champion jumper and we just can't keep her from running around or jumping everywhere! Would this do any danger to the healing process long term? The stitches are still intact, she's not licking it and it appears to be healing well.

Worse come to worse, maybe I could keep her in the cat carrier crate to keep her quiet, but I just can't bear the thought of it. Sure you guys understand.

Another question: I noticed that some areas around the incision is hard when I touch it - is this normal after all? Is that swelling? The kitty doesn't complain when I do this, so I suppose that it's not painful.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
post surgery question

Yes, it's normal to have swelling, it'll be kind of a welt under the skin. As long as it is not red, painful, hot or oozing, it's fine. It will take a few weeks to disappear. It's a normal inflammatory reaction to the surgery.

You're absolutely right, you can't keep a good cat down! I long ago gave up advising people to keep their kittens quiet -- AIN'T gonna happen, LOL! Don't worry about her activity, she'll do as much as she feels like doing. If she gets painful, she'll stop. I've never seen a kitten stay down more than a couple of days. Let her go for it, it won't hurt anything!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. The swelling has gone down to almost nothing now. I guess I'm just a little worried :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts