Cat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching the best options for when I get my kitty in a few months. I was looking up cat trees and shelves and came across a pic where someone built a cat shelf that led up the wall to the very top and ran all through the house. Im my bedroom above our closets, there are 2 loft type areas about 2-3 feet wide and several feet long. I am considering lining the space with carpet and sisal and building some kind of shelving so the kitty can get up there. And also some shelves/planks so he can climb from one to the other. The space is very high up though, and when I get him he will only be 12 weeks old. I am worried that maybe as a kitten he will be too clumsy and fall and get injured. Should I wait to build this until he is older? Or am I worrying unnecessarily? If I should wait, what age is sufficient?
He will be kept indoors only, I am just trying to give him as big of an area he can claim as his own while at the same time using as little space us humans use as possible. I considered a giant cat tree but we really dont have the space for it. The kind of cat Im getting (toyger) are said to be pretty active & muscular cats.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
I didn't find my girls to be clumsy when they were 12 weeks old. They couldn't jump too high, because they were small (and their legs were shorter!), but that's about the only difference. So, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
I've raised three kittens over the last couple of years, and based on my observations of them, I'd wait until they're at least 6-9 mos old before building high lofts for them. It's not that they can't climb that high when they're younger, because they can. It's that I've seen my little boys play and wrestle so single-mindedly and sleep so deeply that they've fallen off of furniture. I wouldn't want them falling off of something high enough to cause serious injury, so I'd wait until they're past the crazy, oblivious baby stage to give them high perches.

Laurie

·
Registered
469 Posts
My husband built our cat tree for our adult cat, Kent. When I brought Mirage and Cloud home at 12 weeks this was their favorite thing. However, the way the lengths are set up they could only make it up the first two shelves. They weren't strong enough to make it to the top. It wasn't until they were quite a bit older that they could make it up to the top. I have never had any complaint with my cat post, it has been perfect. I also have it in my livingroom, so the kittens weren't running around it unsupervised. Sorry that it is a bit scraggly, I trim it once a week but it gets A LOT of use.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts