Cat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i wondering the age when you can get a male and female fixed and declawed. thanx
one more thing, i heard when you spay a cat they get fat is that true?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
In the US you can neuter/spay a cat from the age of six weeks. In Sweden few vets neuter/spay cats younger than six months old. I personally don't have my cats neutered/spayed before the age of one year. But you can have it done anytime from the age of six weeks.

When it comes to declawing I have no idea. I guess most vets do it when they neuter/spay the cat.

However, I must ask, why are you having the cat declawed? Cats scratch, that's their nature.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
Then teach them not to, i have 5 cats, all who ruined clothes, even brande new clothes, very annoying! Now they dont do it, teach them not to. Same with scratching you and digging at carpets and furniture.
Most vets prefer not to spay until they are around 6 months old because that is when they are fully developed and so it makes it that little easier :)

As to declawing, if it is just because they are snagging your clothes thats very sad, teach them. Declawing is very painful on cats, and personally i (and many others here) find it very cruel, it takes nothing to teach a cat. Do you cut a childs hands off to suit you because they touch something they arent sposed to? no. So why do so to a cat?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was just wondering, i want to clip their nails though but they're only kittens and im not sure what the line looks like that im supposed to watch out for.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
crakbunny said:
well i was just wondering, i want to clip their nails though but they're only kittens and im not sure what the line looks like that im supposed to watch out for.
Clipping nails is easy, and the quick(line) is usually easy to spot unless they have dark colored claws. Even then, it can still be done.

My best advice would be to have your vet, or someone that is experienced with clipping nails show you where to clip. Most of us are experienced, but believe me, it's best to have someone physically show you. Better safe than sorry, right? :wink:

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
And definatly better than having them declawed. If you cut the quick the using floor will stop it bleeding, but you can also buy special stuff which clots the blood to stop it aswell. As padunk said, get your vet to show you first, maybe even try it with them watching and see how it goes. You can also get things like softcalws, which go over their nails.
Please do all other research into alternatives before declawing, it is so cruel and painful, and with proper training absolutly no need to declaw.

·
Registered
10,235 Posts
Both procedures can be done around 6 months. Hopefully you educate yourself on all the aspects of declawing before even considering it. It can turn out badly and its not something that can be reversed. (((=

·
Registered
88 Posts
Zalensia said:
If you cut the quick the using floor will stop it bleeding, but you can also buy special stuff which clots the blood to stop it aswell.
I'm sorry I didn't quite catch that about the floor, could you clarify?

I trim Peanut's nails and have never had a problem but I came very close the other day and it's made me skiddish. So I'd like to know what to do in case it ever happens. Also, if it does happen, is it fatal, dangerous or more like a boo-boo?

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
LoL sorry peanuts, that my stupid spelling.
I meant flour.
If you cut it and it bleeds it tends to not to stop bleeding for a long time. I use to breed budgies and a couple of times my bf cut the quick by accident, in budgies loosing the smallest emount of blood lost can be deadly, because they are so small!
So anyway i meant flour, it helps to clot the blood and should stop the bleeding, but you can buy proper stuff for it aswell in most pet supply shops.

sorry for making such a dumb typo :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts