Cat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:?: Two days ago my two cats started fighting. They are both neutered, a male and female that have been together for 5 years and never any problems. Out of the blue they started to fight. They are indoor cats, healthy, well fed. pampered etc. It is not play fighting. We have tufts of hair, lamps knocked over, screetching, scratching and on and on. Any ideas?

zenpotter

·
Registered
185 Posts
The only thing I can think of is maybe one senses the other is ill? I know it is a long shot but physical exams at the vets may help. Other than that...no other life changes/upsets in the house? construction? divorce? etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sick?

I got the same suggestion from a friend. The female is doing all the hissing and growling today, so I have made a vet appointment for today at noon. I will let you know what comes of it. She is just hunkering down and growling today so I suspect that is the problem. No more chasing her brother around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bad mood

:cry: :cry:

well we went to the vet and nothing wrong that he could find, guess she is just in a bad mood or a bit off.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That's really odd. If she isn't better in a few days, you might want a second opinion or bloodwork done. Also Dr. Jean on here has a great website in case it turns out to be behavioral. She might be able to suggest something. .

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Hi, I've had problems with my internet connection this past week so I haven't been online...I've missed a lot! :cry:

There are a zillion things that could have happened to set the cat off; she may have been startled and taken it out on the male, all kinds of scenarios come to mind. But the thing is to solve it!

Play therapy can definitely help here, especially if you can get the two of them focused on the game at the same time. They'll have so much fun, they'll forget about being mad.

Flower essences can also help return them to normal.

If there's really bad blood, it may be best to separate them and then gradually reintroduce them as if they were strangers. There are a couple of articles about this in our library, http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library.

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

1 - 8 of 8 Posts