Cat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard and read all the "don't play with your hands" kind of posts - that say if they are attacking your hands - is because you play with them with your hands... but what happens when you aren't trying to play with your hands?

I've been trying to break him of this habit for almost as long as I have had him with little success! It usually happens when I am petting him - I pet him - and with no signs of irritation - he latches onto my arm and starts biting very hard and bunny kicking! I thought I might have overstimulated him at first - maybe i didn't see the irritated "stop petting me already!" signs. However, I never notice anything different with his body language. He just starts scratching and biting.

I've tried taking my hands away - then he just goes for my arms - when I take those away he goes for my legs and feet! I thought maybe if I didn't move my hand away - he might stop on his own - he only gets a better grip and bites harder. I've also tired to push him away or knock him off the bed (when we are on it). I've also tried yelling like I am hurt - he only runs away for a moment - then runs back and pounces on me.

I don't think he is trying to be mean or anything - but rather wants someone to play with. He keeps trying to get near Tigger - I think he is hoping to have a playmate... only to be angrily swatted away. Without a playmate I'm afraid he takes all his frustration out on me. I've tried playing with him to wear him out - but I think he wants to wrestle more than anything else. I'm going to have him neautered very soon (hopefully by monday) so I'm wondering if that will tame a little out of him. He's only 4 months and JUST going on 5... so I didn't think he would be so aggressive just yet.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would suggest not to pet him for a while until he realizes that your arms are meant to love him not to be attacked

He is still a kitten, isn't that right? Everything is a game to him at this stage - play his game but subtelly install your rules as suggested in Dr. Jean's article on Play Therapy. Although apparently not caused by overstimulation his aggression is more than probably due to his young age - all you need to do is redirect it towards a constructive, well thought play (therapy).
Delay petting him - although hard to resist until he will learn the difference berween being loved and playtime - with something other that your extensions (human arms and legs - :lol: )

You probably know where to look for the specific articles but I am going to post them as reference for future members:

Play Aggression

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... aggression

Overstimulation (Petting-Related) Aggression

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... aggression

Play Therapy, Every Day!

http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?a ... w&item=012

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have this same problem :? my kitten is 11 weeks old and I can't pet him. I don't even try anymore because he always wants to bite me, I hope he'll grow out of this. I tried the play therapy but he doesn't even look at his toy, he looks at my hand and go for it. I thought if I let him bite me he'll stop but instead he tries harder.
Another thing, my kitten spends a lot of time licking my rug as if he were drinking milk from his mom!? is this normal?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Ok, you are going to think this is nuts......but, my cat attacks my toes in the middle of the night. Well, I now put Vicks Vapor rub on my big toes to keep him from getting near them. :lol: Hey, it works!!! :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I tried the play therapy but he doesn't even look at his toy, he looks at my hand and go for it.
Has anyone used the Kitten Mitten toy? Does that encourage hand biting? Just wondering...I bought one other day, and since we've been playing with it, I haven't noticed any aggression toward the old appendages. Maybe it will help?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
When the cat/kitten nips at your hand, you must let your hand go completely still and limp. Your hand is only a good toy as long as it's moving. After a minute they'll lose interest, though they may gnaw on you for a little bit first! Some people report even better success with yipping or yelping at the same time.

They key is consistency. If you "fight back" even one time, you will have to start completely over. It will take weeks, even months, of patience. With my girl, I could not pet her at all for a long time. Eventually I could pet her one stroke before she'd attack. I kept working on it, then I could pet her *two* strokes. Patience and consistency will eventually work, really!

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I'm so glad I did read your suggestion before we got Sam and Suzy, we've been very strict from the very beginning of not having them "play" with our hands. So we never get attacked when we pet them and they are in play mood.

Only time I get attacked if when I sit in the couch with one knee crossed under my other knee. Then they seem to think my sock is one of their toys and try to play with it. But I try to "yelp" at them and they stop.

So I can say that the suggestion really works, because we've never had any problems due to the good advice from Dr. Jean. :)

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
massiel78 said:
Another thing, my kitten spends a lot of time licking my rug as if he were drinking milk from his mom!? is this normal?
Addison is 16 weeks now and originally had a thing for fleece (and still does) but now she has also claimed our cheneille (spelling?) throw blanket as well. This is often caused from kittens being removed from their mother too soon. It's okay, don't worry about it. My older cat Franny (now 4) sucked on the tip of her tail until she was almost a year old or so. She was rescued at 7 weeks and so was Addison. They should really be with their moms until about 12 weeks. When they leave earlier, this often is a result.

Though I wonder if your could get him to redirect it to something else, I just wonder if he's sucking down the particles of the rug...you know rugs tend to shed alot (depending on what kind you have) and that probably isn't the greatest thing! :?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My older cat Franny (now 4) sucked on the tip of her tail until she was almost a year old or so.
My cat Nico tried to suckle my boyfriend's hairy arm for about the first month we had him...it was kind of cute and sad because he missed his mommy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
:lol: This is kind of embarrasing, but my cat tries to suck on my earlobe and he's almost 4 years old! :lol: I keep telling him there's nothing in there. He only does that if I let him lay on my chest though. He never did go through that biting stage thank goodness.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
This is kind of embarrasing, but my cat tries to suck on my earlobe and he's almost 4 years old!
I had a cat that did this her whole life (and she lived to be 16). I think (the vet seemed to agree) that since we rescued her very young (litter abandoned by mother, she was only survivor) and had to drip and bottle feed her, she really bonded to us like a mother cat. Anyway, they may never stop, but we'd get her down into our laps and just pet her. I had another cat who all his life would get a piece of clothing (while I was wearing it) and just suck on it, he would not tolerate being moved and would just grab another section of my clothing. We also got him very young.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Dylan does this, usually when he is having a mad five minutes... He does it to try and suck our fingers tho... Big baby lol

If we let our hands go limp he starts licking them and tries to get his mouth round a finger to suck on... I got him at 13 weeks... weirdo cat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts