Cat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our large cat goes wild if we try and clip his nails. Took him to the vet. They said he needed to be sedated which is very expensive, we are seniors and cannot afford so much. I want to try Benadryl which my husband does not agree with. We have tried everything and getting desperate. Suggestions please.

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
When I moved 500 miles with my girls in my car, I got meds from my vet that were very inexpensive. They didn't knock them out all the way, just enough that they didn't really care what was happening. When I get home, I'll look it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Some cats I groom are given gabepentin or tramidal before the groom to keep them calm. CBD is also something that has helped a lot of animals. I use Zylkene, which is all natural, regularly to keep my youngest calm. He has anxiety and will start peeing on everything if he gets stressed.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,493 Posts
Yup, it was Gabapentin that I gave my girls for the trip.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Besides medication, one of those cone collars might have helped. Most cats go quiet and don't move around when they get one on. Another suggestion is that when one buys a kitten, start to give it regular nail clips (just cut the tip of the nail) every few weeks, followed by a treat . I've always done this, and all my cats look forward to getting their nails clipped. Just be careful you don't cut into the quick (vein). I've done it a couple of times, one cat didn't notice, and other felt it and was a little reluctant to get his nails done after that, but the treats helped him get over it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your reply. We tried a cone and he went so wild, he managed to pull it off. My husband is 85 yrs and could not hold him. Thomas is obviously a different kind of cat ha ha. He is like a Jekyl & Hyde. He is so loving, but bullies his sister,will not be brushed , nails etc. help!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Try Cat in the Bag. It's great for that. It's a little bit of an art getting them in there at first. Watch the videos on the site. Also they have an eBay store where they sell returns cheaper. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
This thread was just what I needed. I have 2 cats at home. One of them really freaks out when I take him to the vet so I started keeping Gabapentin at home for any future visits.
My other cat has the same problem with his claws. nothing works. He loves to knead me while he sits on my lap and it always ends up with me pushing him off because his claws are always so sharp. I tried every trick in the book and I'd be lucky to trim just one claw.
After reading this thread I sent my vet an email asking if it would be okay to try a Gabapentin and she said it would be fine. They say to wait 1 hour but I find the effects just get stronger after 2 or even 3 hours. I tried it this afternoon and for the first time in my 6 year old cat's life, he let me trim all 10 front claws at once. He put up a little fight but it was still pretty easy. I'll be looking into the other things FluffyLove mentioned as the Gabapentin really dopes them up for hours and something a little less strong would be nice. I hate to do it this way but, I'm telling you, this cat has been impossible since I brought him home at 4 months old. I'll be talking more in depth about this with my vet next time we meet as I'm still concerned about how safe this drug is.

·
Registered
40 Posts
That's great! I do Zylkene every day for a week at least to decrease stress hormones before doing whatever stresses them. Pheromones too regularly for every day use and happy babies.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How much do you give him and where do I find it at ?i have a cat that hates having his nails cut ,even with treats .

·
Registered
11 Posts
You need to get a prescription from your vet. The pills I have are 100 mg. They're really too strong. Giving it to him at noon was a mistake. He still seemed doped up when I went out at 7:00. I really need to discuss this more with my vet before I do it again. You should do the same and I'd love to hear the response.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I buy Zylkene on Amazon. I've never needed a prescription for it. Anything chemical based, yes you have to get through your vet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts