Cat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spayed 2 of my females 5 months ago. They were mother and daughter and both had had litters in the past. About 3 months after the operation i noticed the older of the two being very aggressive to the younger. Very much like she was trying to mate with her. This aggression has continued and increased with her grabbing her behind her head and getting on top of her. She chases her around the yard and it sounds like when the male is trying to get the female and she is not ready yet. Can a spayed female get aggressive like that after spaying and can it be treated with something. This aggressive female is not the oldest of my cats. They span 7 generations. The oldest one is calm and quiet but will put the younger ones in their place, much like a great great great grandmother should do. Non of my cats have been aggressive, except the males when mating, but this female is really beating up the daughter. Oh and she is hissing at the 9mth old kittens alot, but that im expecting as they are still trying to nurse from her. Any thoughts would be appreciated

·
Registered
576 Posts
The mother is likely showing her daughter dominance. She is trying to tell her, "this is my territory, and I'm the boss". This is normal behavior. Yes, it's possible that she is hissing at the kitten because the kitten is still trying to nurse, although the mothers usually don't hiss. How many cats do you have?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have 11 cats. the mother ( Esther) thats turned aggressive or male like is around 4th generation of 6 generations i have. She has 2 cats older than her, then Esther, her daughter and then their 7 children from the last round of litters. She is not being dominant to the older cats, nor the younger , which there is still 1 unspayed female. It is literally just her daughter, who is nearly 2 years old, that she is being super aggressive and dominant to. Esther wouldnt dare act that way with the older cats. Ive seen the dominant mounting behaviour in my dogs, with the head of the pack mounting her daughters and sisters in a show of dominance. And the normal pecking order issues in the dogs, but in the 5 years that i have had cats ( always 5 -12 of them) i have never seen this come up

·
Registered
576 Posts
It's not very common because females aren't usually dominant. She's probably not doing it with the older cats because they are old and not really a threat to her.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts