Cat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my cats a new toy this weekend. Nothing fancy, just a small sisal mouse with a feather tail, maybe 2 inches long in total. Keira took one look at it and walked off, but Lucky fell in love. She plays with the mouse non-stop if I leave it out, and whenever Keira gets close she growls and hisses. Each time that happens I take the toy away, but then Lucky spends the next 30 minutes running around the apartment crying for the toy.

Should I take the toy away when Lucky hisses? Or should I just assume that they will work it out without my help?

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'd let it go. If you can't stand to have Lucky growly and mean acting towards Keira for long just wait a little longer each time before taking the toy away (i.e gradually up your tolerance). This is pretty common when a cat really loves a toy. Lucky's just saying to Keira 'beat it this is MY prey'. :D I'll bet Keira understands that. Even if she did get the toy for a moment Lucky wouldn't attack her or anything. Lucky'd just try to get the toy back.

It's basic sibling rivalry over toys. They'll work it out. Lucky may get less excited by it after a while too and that will help.

~Heather

·
Registered
166 Posts
The shelter I work at had a litter of kittens a few weeks back (they're now weaned and in a foster home, possibly even adopted by now). I went in to play with them one day, had a few toys. There was one kitten that would physically steal the toy away from all the other kittens, then stalk off with it, growling! I'd never seen such a thing before, especially from such a little one. What an attitude!

Don't really have any suggestions, though - it's not something I've dealt with with my pets.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
How about just getting one or two more of those toys? :) (Of course, then they'll probably decide that one of them is *best* even though they're all the same!)

Cheers,
Dr. Jean

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I bought a four-pack! Keira doesn't want the toy. In fact, what usually happens is that in the course of throwing it around the apartment Lucky runs into Keira, freaks out and hisses. They are generally very good about sharing, and they do each have "their" toys about which there are no territorial squabbles. Ugh, kids. :wink:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts