Cat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My kitty is 8 months old. My friendly pitt is 11 years old. He ignores her completely. She does not like him. I had her since 11 weeks. I friend gave her to me. She was well taken care for. Not abused. She used to scared of the dog but now seems to hate him and tries to attack him. He just walks away. I'm very scared he can bite her one day in defense. She was a sweet kitty before spaying her at 5 months. she is attacking me randomly too for no reason. Nothing has changed in the house. I'm also scared for my 6y old even though she is ok with him mostly runs away from him when he wants to play. He is gentle. I dont know whats going on. She bites and scratches. We dont play with hands. She has toys and scratching posts and tree. Please let me know what you think. This is my first cat. She draws blood on me and I'm immunocompromised. Could it be an adolescent stage? Please help!

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
You are right!.... "Adolescent stage".....kitty is in her "terrible teens" as I call them, a real bratty, bully stage some cats go through from 8-9 months to 1-2 yrs. I had the same situation with my two.....that lasted 2 yrsMy kitten Fitty Pisky became aggressive to my older male Zuba of 11 yrs., and he really didn't fight back. Fitty's 5 now and Zuba is almost 16 and the two have an amicable friendship with only the occasional biting; they're pretty good cuddle buddies now, groom each other, hang out together. Try to siphon off as much energy from your kitty as you can to tire him out is helpful 2-3 times a day.. Maybe get your 6 yr. old to drag a cord throughout the house behind him for kitty to chase. A wand toy (like "Da Bird") is good to flick around in a birdlike way and then let it land, so kitty can pounce on it. When the cat and dog are behaving well, give them treats to reinforce their good manners, and say "good boys!". How long did your friend keep the kitten? If she wasn't kept with its momacat and litter mates until it was 3 mos. old, she missed out on it social development stage of learning to control her bite/claws/read cat body language etc. by wrestling with litter mates and interacting with mamacat. This is hard for a kitten to learn if it missed out on these important lessons. You're doing the right thing by not letting her play with your hands. You could try some sort of calming substances, such as Bach flower essences...."Cherry Plum" may be helpful. All the best! Here's a link:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello. Thank you so much for replying. She was about 11 weeks old. Maybe she did need more time with Mom...Should it going ever go away ? I'm glad yours are getting along so nice. I hope mine will eventually. She was so sweet before and I don't recognize this crazy, aggressive kitty haha. I will try your suggestions. They are really appreciated. Have a great and safe holiday!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts