Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bag of catnip? no way. Now a bag of honeysuckle, and my cat goes bonkers!

I needed something to distract him from being mad at me for leaving him all alone for two days, and the 1.35 triangle pouch of honeysuckle did the trick.

He jumped, he pounced, drooled, licked, chewed and rubbed that little bag of honeysuckle all over his face, if I tried to 'steal' it, he gave my finger a firm womp (no claws) and returned to his chewing and caressing.

I enjoyed a good 5 minutes of giggles watching Giz play with his new toy, so I honestly don't know who enjoyed it more, him or me :D

·
Registered
821 Posts
We sell honeysuckle at the pet store I work at. Not many people buy it, and I don't really know much about it!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have a piece of the wood. All you have to do is moisten it to generate the honeysuckle smell again. I have had it for Years, and both cats love it. Is the bag of it shredded up? Is it possible that it can be ripped open? Because if so, I know Samhain would just eat it all - and then puke, of course. So, I'd love to get more of the wood pieces, but I can never seem to find it anywhere.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought it at a pet store, it's in a sturdy, well sewn shut cloth triangle. The honeysuckle is shredded, I don't know if it's wood or sticks or flowers inside, but none of it feels pokey throught he cloth. It was only $1.35 cdn

For those not knowing about cats and honeysuckle:

While only about 2/3rds of cats posesse the gene to enjoy the effects of catnip, about 90% of cats will go nuts over honeysuckle. And while catnip loses it's potency rather fast, honeysuckle can be rejuvenated with water. When it's in a little bag the cat will chew and lick it, enhancing the effects even more. All information regarding honeysuckle I've found say that it's safe for cats, and that the plant is listed on the 'safe' list of edible plants.

hope that helps :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
from what I've read, catnip cannot effect a cat until they are over 2 months. Supposedly honeysuckle will even make kittens happy, but I don't have a kitten to try it on :)

Honeysuckle isn't an hallucinagenic, it effects their olfactory nerves, something in the scent makes them really happy. (think back to the happy feeling you get when catching a sniff of fresh baked cookies grandma made) Which is why they like to rub the honeysuckle, getting that yummy smell into their fur

1 - 9 of 9 Posts