Cat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need some help regarding travel via plane with a cat. I have looked on the internet and most websites give advice on making sure you check with the airline about travel, get a good carrier, get a health certificate.. etc etc. But now I am looking for information on the actual Procedure of doing it, i.e. when should I stop feeding him prior to the flight? What should I do in the terminal waiting for the flight? What should I do with him while on the plane, during my layover, and once I arrive? So basically, most internet information that I have found isn't what I'm looking for. Does anyone here have any recommendations? I'm a little nervous about it and I want to do All that I can to ensure he has a safe trip and that I'm adequately prepared.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Have you ever put you cat in a travel kennel? I have trained all of mine to sleep over night in a kennel. If you start putting them in know it will make it easer later. Is your cat going as a carry on? How old is your cat and how long is the fight?

·
Registered
651 Posts
You're just taking one cat? How does he do in the car? Honestly, if it were any of mine, I would ask the vet for a sedative just to help the cat's anxiety during the flight. I actually have some on hand for the next time we have to transport them (after Daisy's incident of tearing out her claws on her carrier last time).

·
Premium Member
8,186 Posts
I hear that on loooong trips you can actully put them to sleep via a sleeping pill that they eat before you go and they can sleep for up to 13 hours. If this is true (and safe!) you could consider that. Then your cat would be asleep the whole time and overall less traumatized.

·
Registered
14 Posts
We travelled with our cat from Spain(Mallorca) to London last year.The cat carrier has to be big enough that the cat can get up and turn around.In Mallorca, they warned us that if the box didn't reach the minimum dimensions that we wouldn't be allowed to fly with him,so its really important that you meet that criteria.Depending on how long the flight is you sometimes have to provide food and water for the cat during the flight.I think that Orion only got a small amount of food that morning I can't quite remember.We had to be there earlier than normal to deliver Oreo to the hanger where they took him to put him in the hold(which is always airconditioned for the transport of animals) and for the transportation company to check all his papers.If there's a layover I think the best thing to do is discuss with the airline and the animal trasportation company, what your options are.I don't know about how it works over there but here the airline company don't directly deal with the animals on board.There's another company that you have to pay for the animals to be transported.It cost us over $400 to transport Orion, which was more than our tickets!(Also not all airlines will transport animals,so its good to arrange at the same time, the cats flight and yours with an airline that will transport you both on the same flight) When we arrived in London we had to wait a few hours before we could get Orion back, as the government vets had to make sure that all his vaccinations were up to date etc and if they weren't he was going back to Spain!It was actually less worrying than we thought.And I wouldn't worry about doing it again. :D

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I was asking this question earlier, since my breeder want me to bring a cat with me back home from a trip. Dr. Jean was so kind enough to answer some of the questions. She said that a cat, over 3 months old, should be able to handle a trip for 15 hours without food and water. She didn't speak of sedation and I don't plan on making the cat sleep during the trip. I will however make sure the cat will keep calm and know it's in safe hands. This is a cat I've never met before, so I think it's important that I keep it calm so it knows it's in good hands.

I read earlier in a thread about someone who'd been traveling with their cats and they fed their cats a few hours before they departed, so that the cats could do their bathroom stuff before leaving. If I don't remember wrong, they did travel about 10 hours before stopping for the night and let the cats have their food.

I asume it also depends on heat if you need to give your cat water and how then deal with the discard of the water when it'll inevitable come out the other end. So maybe pack some type of extras to keep the box dry.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

Sigma is about a year old and I am bringing him on the plane with me as a carry-on. The airline doesn't allow you to put pets in the cargo hold because their hub cities of Las Vegas and Phoenix get too hot outside. Which is fine with me.

In the car, he is totally mellow. He just sits there. Maybe a few meows here and there, and a little of wanting out of the cage, but in general, compared to our other cats, he is very mellow. He is also very used to his carrier. All of the cats take naps in there.

The flight goes from Memphis to Phoenix (~3 hrs) then Phoenix to Calgary (~3 hrs) with about an hour layover in Phoenix. From house to house, I estimate the trip will take about 15 hours. The airline suggested we get there 3 hours in advance to ensure he has a spot on the plane, and then I have about half an hour to an hour to get through customs on the other end, along with an hour drive to get to my parent's house. Any suggestions on his feeding/watering schedule if this is the case?

Thanks!
P.S. Every article on the net that I found said that most vets suggest that you do NOT sedate your pet for the trip.

·
Registered
6,801 Posts
I think I read dr jean saying that most cats will not eat/drink/poop etc during a trip. Maybe you could take some wet food with you to see if he wants a little one you get a chance, that would contain the moisture then too.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts