Cat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My room has a lot of plants in it for the Gliders to play with but my cat Alex thinks she is a Sugar Glider and climbs and hangs out with all of them...thought I would share these 8 pictures, this stuff happens every night lol, shes so weird :lol:

this is Alex hanging out with her best feline friend.

Alex getting ready to do a climb

here she goes...

sitting on her chair watching over everyone.

·
Banned
1,014 Posts
Alex doesn't try and attack the sugar gliders? My cats are *constantly* harassing my gerbils. I know that gliders are bigger, but I would think that cats would still try and hunt them. Very cute pics btw!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
As pretty as your cat is (VERY VERY pretty...)

I love sugar gliders! Yours looks to be gorgeous and I want more pictures! :)

I've always wanted something like a sugar glider or chinchilla, but I can never seem to care for anything like that as well as I should. So I just adore them from afar...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why thank you!
Alex is (sadley) declawed, I bought her like that. She tries to scratch up everything even still, and I think thats why they declawed her *sigh*.
she is a little petite thing, I am trying oto get her to gain some weight, she eats all the time, just has a high motabolism I suppose. Shes perfectly healthy.
Ironically, she will catch mice, birds, and tons of insects outside all the time. I think she doesn't attack the gliders because they are marsupials and don't have the rodent smell to them. I have two cages of 2 colonies and last night the larger of the two colonies was out playing, she just likes to sit on her little pedestal up high and watch them, it's actually nice that she acts like the babysitter and it gives me more time preparing for their dinner and managing my own forum.
Thank you for the compliments on her, I am quite proud, hehe.

OsnobunnieO--this is for you! :lol:

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Ooooo they're soooooooo cute!!!

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've never seen a sugar glider before! The lady at the petshop sort of detered me from wanting one (she said that they would die if they didn't get a lot of calcium and eat all the time). I'm not sure how much of what she said was true - but I was really worried that if I got one that it would be dead before I brought it home. I guess I should look stuff up about them - learn a little more than what a petstore clerk knows.

They are so cute though! Do you breed them?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hehehe thank you...

Gabriella, without going too off topic in this post I can say that what the pet store lady said was true--if you dnt feed any animal they die, lol. but all the time? geesh, if my gliders ate all the time they'de be fat. You're only supposed to feed them once a night, and that's all. Actually gliders are probably easier to own then cats--they dont require many vet visits either. I think she was pulling your leg a little though about feeding them all the time. About calcium, if you don't feed the right diet and they dont have enough calcium--like many animals, they can develop HLP (hind leg paralysis) which can be reversed. If it is not treated or calcium is not added to their diet they can eventully die. But to kill a glider not-on purpose you would have to almost try, lol. :lol:

here's a cope and paste from a glider forum explaining what I feed them.

for vitamins...a lot of people just crush up tums and sprinkle them on top. I go full out tho, just because Im one of those perfectionists lol.

Mine recieve a plateful of a variety of foods every night. We do not go by one certain diet plan, instead we stick to a more natural type of diet, and have gotten wonderful results from it.

I have reusable plastic plates that is divided into three secions. The larger section I include some source of protein; chicken, boiled mealworms, crickets, or grasshoppers, eggs mixed with some kind of sweetener such as a dash of cheese or some yogrt to entice them to eat it. I also put in atleast 3 different kinds of fruits, normally it could be something like chopped apples, grapes, kiwi, papaya, strawberries, blueberries, honeydew...it all depends. then I give them so kind of vegetable on the side, such as carrots, lettuce, peas, etc. and I sprinkle Pet glider's Vitamins mixed with wombaroo's supplements as a light topping. I also give fat free yogurt nightly, as it has "good bacteria" that works wonderful for their systems, lowers stress and neg pheromone level, and has so many positive health benefits.
we also give small additions such as acacia gum and bee pollen, however about a month before every fecal we do not give bee pollen as it can sometimes mess up the results.

For the other two sides of the plate, one side holds water, the other holds some kind of [all natural--non acidic such as orange] juice.
If you are considering getting a glider please feel free to e-mail me.
[email protected]
I strongly believe education is key about these little guys.

To answer your question, yes, I do breed, but I breed only for the White Faced Blonde genes and coloration, and the white tip.
The up close picture I posted is of a glider with a white tip at the end of it's tail, below is a picture of one of my a White face blonde (WFB) babies.

So if you are looking for a pretty glider to own or breed you can come to me, but because they are of rare colors I wont offer the cheapest prices obviously. Your best bet is to go search on glider classifieds like Glider Connection and NOT buy gliders from pet stores!!! :D

cough ok anyway...lol...yes...I am proud of my kitty Alex...someone else emailed me and asked if she was a statue...so I had to foreward them here to pictures of her actually moving lol :lol:

·
Registered
560 Posts
So cute still! Yeah - the woman told me that if they didn't eat all day long that they would go into seizures and die (scarey!) Of course she said the same thing about my hedgehogs... and I've not given them any suppliments since I make sure they get the best food.

I'm thinking that she was trying to sell me the calcium (which I bought and haven't used btw - I'm thinking about giving it to a friend who has lizards or something) and also trying to cover if I ever wanted to buy an animal from them - and it died.

The pet store is absolutely the worst! Dead fish in the tanks - I couldn't handle looking at the gliders... I think if I saw a dead baby animal I would've died!

I'm not currently thinking about buying anymore tiny animals - since keeping three spikies away from my cat is hard enough hehe - maybe when my hedgehogs pass on in a few years. :cry: But - if I change my mind I guess I'll know who to call. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LOL, :)

Where is this pet store located? Maybe we can get a rescuer on this and get those gliders out of there!!! :cry:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts