Cat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a Box Elder Bug in the house today caught between the blinds and one of the windows, and the cats were going nuts trying to get the thing. Well, Alice got to it first before I could, and she starts pawing at it playfully, like she always does with her bugs before munching on them. All of a sudden she runs off like a shot and she's licking her nose. The bug had fired it's stink at her! She wouldn't go near it after that, heh.

It was actually pretty funny...well not at first because I wasn't sure if they were toxic to cats, but the internets say they aren't...so it's funny, haha! :p She just glared at that thing, and I swear when I got rid of it, she had a look of revenge on her face, lol!

Alice loves bugs and eats as many as she can catch. She loves it when I bring home crickets for my tarantula too, because she knows she gets a few to stalk and eat in the bathtub. But the Box Elder bested her. XD

Anyone else have cat and bug stories?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Yesterday there was a HUGE black beetle crawling across the carpet. Nebbie was watching it intently. I'm not sure if she got it though, because I had to leave to wash dishes and other chores, and when I got back it was gone... probly under the couch, as they like dark hiding spots (in fact, when I first noticed it in the corner of my eye, it was like it had juts fallen down... and I had just picked up my slippers!)

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
Ages back when I first got MowMow he saw a spider crawling across the floor. He went into a crouch position and was stalking it. I was doing something else so I walked away. When I went back to check on him later he was still in crouch position but fast asleep.....

I guess I'm squashing my own bugs, because my narcoleptic cat can't manage to kill them. ;)

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Just the other morning, I was lying in bed and Abby saw something in the air, a fly or a bug (I couldn’t see anything). She jumped on the bed and cast her eyes upwards, and she was bouncing all around trying to catch the bug. She then made her way to my night table. On my night table, I keep a lamp, a flower arrangement, a Royal Doulton doll sculpture and the girls’ treats. So, there’s not much room left on the night table with all that on it. Still, Abby gingerly maneuvered her way onto the night table, without disturbing anything, in her attempts to get at whatever she was chasing. Both of my girls always amaze me because they’re so delicate, and they always seem to manage to carefully weave their way around things.

I then rolled over in bed to catch a few more zzzz’s, when I heard a crash and bang. Abby’s delicate maneuvers had come to an end and she had knocked over my lamp, sending my Royal Doulton doll onto the floor. The lamp is fine, the doll is now headless! Still, that’s only the second time Abby's ever broken anything, the first being an old vase that I didn't care for. So, I can’t complain.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, great stories!

Krissy - Thats hilarious! The big bad hunter...falls asleep! XD Sounds exactly like something Samantha would do...unless it's a moth. She goes nuts for moths.

Kelly - Awesome pictures of the kitties in the tub! Crickets are a lot of fun. Alice likes to slow them down by pulling off their legs, and then she carries them to the back of the tub (won't eat them anywhere else) and enjoys her snack. :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Oh it's bug time again! A few minutes ago, I caught my two girls sitting together on the floor staring down at one spot on the floor. They are not that close so to see them like that, I know they must be up to something. I couldn't see anything so I figured the bug must have crawled into the desk because they eventually got up and was sniffing around.

Last year, I saw two giant waterbugs and I went into a panic. I immediately scooped up my little one and told her to get that bug! Sure enough she spent about 10 minutes trying to catch it and then grabbed it, and ran away with it and had it in her mouth for another 10 minutes. I could not see what she was doing as her back was facing me. It seemed as if she was just sitting there with the bug half hanging out of her mouth but she sat still for a long time. I figured she was going to eventually eat the bug. I was absolutely mortified!! Then my other cat found the 2nd waterbug which started running up my kitchen counter and I panicked again. I managed to knock this waterbug with the longest antennaes I've ever seen! off the counter and my cat ran after it and put it in her mouth. I finally got the nerve to prompt both cats to drop their bugs into a dish of water and then flushed the two ugliest bugs I ever did see down the toilet.

Not looking forward to another episode like that again! But I am glad they are not afraidy cats when it comes to bugs because I sure am!!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Sinatra must like the box elder stink because he eats those things like crazy! We live in a garden level apartment on the south side of the building and there is a whole in my SO's window screen that they still haven't fixed, so we get quite a few!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts